Another 150 Hillary Clinton Emails Had Classified Info, State Dept. Says

Revelation comes as State prepares to release 7,000 more pages of Clinton’s messages from her tenure as secretary.

Joe Raedle AFP/Getty
Ben Geman
Add to Briefcase
Ben Geman
Aug. 31, 2015, 3:58 p.m.

The on­go­ing vet­ting of Hil­lary Clin­ton’s emails for pub­lic re­lease has turned up clas­si­fied in­form­a­tion in roughly 150 more mes­sages, the State De­part­ment said Monday.

The dis­clos­ure came ahead of Monday night’s planned re­lease of more than 7,000 ad­di­tion­al pages of the Demo­crat­ic pres­id­en­tial front-run­ner’s mes­sages from her ten­ure as sec­ret­ary of State, which will be the largest dis­clos­ure yet un­der the court-ordered re­lease un­der the Free­dom of In­form­a­tion Act.

State spokes­man Mark Toner said around 150 emails in the tranche slated for re­lease Monday night will be re­dac­ted, but said none of the in­form­a­tion deemed clas­si­fied in the on­go­ing in­ter­agency re­view of mes­sages on Clin­ton’s private serv­er was marked as clas­si­fied at the time it was sent.

“We have up­graded a num­ber of these,” Toner said. The As­so­ci­ated Press re­por­ted Monday that the re­dac­ted ma­ter­i­al in the latest tranche of emails is clas­si­fied at the “con­fid­en­tial” level, not high­er levels such as “top secret.”

An­oth­er 63 mes­sages from pri­or dis­clos­ures have been re­dac­ted be­cause re­view­ers deemed in­form­a­tion clas­si­fied, but State and Clin­ton’s cam­paign have said that no in­form­a­tion Clin­ton sent or re­ceived was marked clas­si­fied at the time.

Clin­ton’s stance on the emails in her private email sys­tem has changed since the rev­el­a­tion of her un­usu­al ar­range­ment earli­er this year. In March she said, “I did not email any clas­si­fied ma­ter­i­al to any­one on my email. There is no clas­si­fied ma­ter­i­al.” Clin­ton and her cam­paign have since softened the phras­ing, say­ing that she did not send or re­ceive any in­form­a­tion that was marked clas­si­fied at the time.

The latest dis­clos­ure will likely feed GOP cri­ti­cism that Clin­ton be­haved reck­lessly with sens­it­ive in­form­a­tion.

Toner, however, al­luded to dif­fer­ing views with­in the gov­ern­ment about what in­form­a­tion should be kept off-lim­its to the pub­lic. “It is not an ex­act sci­ence. It is not black and white. It is not al­ways clear,” he said.

The re­lease of more than 7,000 pages will meet a fed­er­al judge’s or­der to re­lease, by the end of this month, 25 per­cent of the roughly 55,000 pages of mes­sages that Clin­ton turned over to the State De­part­ment late last year, the de­part­ment said Monday.

State in­tends to re­lease the mes­sages at around 9 p.m. Monday. Toner pushed back against the no­tion that the tim­ing is aimed at bury­ing the news. He said it’s be­cause the re­view—which in­cludes per­son­nel from State and in­tel­li­gence agen­cies—is time-con­sum­ing.

“It’s be­cause we are get­ting these emails back from … this in­ter­agency re­view, we are com­pil­ing them, we are ac­tu­ally load­ing them on­line. It just takes a long time. And let me tell you, there is a lot of really ded­ic­ated, tired people who have been work­ing throughout the week­end to meet this goal,” he told re­port­ers Monday af­ter­noon.

What We're Following See More »
BASE IS LOCKED DOWN
Possible Active Shooter at Alabama Military Installation
46 minutes ago
THE DETAILS
SO SAYS CORNYN
Senate Procedural Vote Now Coming on Wednesday
47 minutes ago
THE LATEST
SPORTS LEAGUES HAD OPPOSED
SCOTUS to Hear Sports Betting Case
1 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The U.S. Supreme Court has given new life to New Jersey's challenge to a federal sports betting ban, with the high court announcing Tuesday that it hear an appeal of federal court decisions that have blocked the state's plans. That extends a six-year effort led by Gov. Chris Christie to allow expanded gambling at Monmouth Park." The NFL, NCAA, and other popular sports leagues had opposed the sports betting there and at other New Jersey locations.

Source:
PENTAGON CONFIRMS WHITE HOUSE STATEMENT
More Chemical Weapons Activity Spotted at Syrian Base
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"The Pentagon said Tuesday the United States has seen chemical weapons activity at Syrian air base used in past chemical attack." A Pentagon spokesman confirmed what the White House first said Monday night: that "Bashar Assad appears to be taking some of the same actions he took before a chemical weapons attack on his own people in April."

Source:
TO BE MADE PUBLIC ON AUG. 9
Ethics Committee Looking into Conyers, Lujan
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The House Ethics Committee acknowledged Monday it is investigating Reps. Ben Ray Luján, John Conyers and House staffer Michael Collins. The panel did not disclose details of its inquiry. Since the probe was referred to the House committee by the Office of Congressional Ethics, details of the OCE’s reports are expected to be made public August 9."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login