An entrepreneur makes millions from unsuspecting victims in a mobile-phone scam. He drives a Bentley, jet-sets between his multiple homes, and collects jewels. But he is found out, and justice is served.
This isn’t a movie plot. A Los Angeles-based entrepreneur will hand over more than $10 million in cash, real estate, and luxury cars to settle a lawsuit with the Federal Trade Commission for billing unknowing consumers millions of dollars on their mobile-phone bills, the consumer protection agency announced Friday.
According to an FTC statement, Lin Miao and a handful of Los Angeles-based companies made millions by sending text messages to consumers offering “love tips,” “fun facts,” and celebrity gossip. Little did the consumers know, they were charged as much as $9.99 per month for these services — a practice commonly known as “mobile cramming.”
“Cramming unauthorized charges on consumers’ phone bills is unlawful, and this settlement shows the FTC is committed to making sure that anyone who does it won’t be able to keep their ill-gotten gains,” Jessica Rich, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, said in a statement. “Consumers have the right to know what they are being charged.”
The charges were often unnoticed because they appeared on the bills in a vague or confusing form, according to the FTC’s lawsuit. Customers who noticed the charges and asked for refunds never got them, according to the statement.
Miao and the other defendants are surrendering all of their assets because they cannot pay the full settlement price of more than $150 million.
The full list of assets include the cash in 14 bank accounts, five luxury cars (including a Bentley and a Mercedes), five properties in Chicago and Los Angeles, and Tiffany jewelery.
The FTC filed a complaint against Miao last year. The lawsuit is part of the FTC’s crackdown on mobile cramming.
What We're Following See More »
According to the most recent Gallup poll, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are equally disliked. The poll, conducted between July 18 and July 25, shows both major party candidates for president are viewed favorably by 37 percent of respondents and unfavorably by 58 percent of respondents. This poll is bad news for Clinton, who has received better favorable and unfavorable ratings in nearly every poll over the last year.
The same day that Donald Trump encouraged Russia to hack the State Department and "find the 30,000 emails that are missing," the GOP nominee for vice president took a more serious approach. "If it is Russia and they are interfering in our elections, I can assure you both parties and the United States government will ensure there are serious consequences," Pence said in a statement. Trump's comments at a press conference this morning were rebuked by individuals across the political spectrum, while some on Trump's team, including prominent surrogate Newt Gingrich, have called his comments a "joke."
The Federal Open Market Committee today voted to leave interest rates alone, but "upgraded its assessment of the economy’s recent performance and said near-term risks to the outlook have diminished, effectively leaving the door open to raise rates later this year, possibly as early as September."
"Spurred by VP pick Mike Pence, a former congressman with close ties to many lawmakers, the Trump campaign in recent weeks has stepped up its courtship of wary Capitol Hill Republicans. And the efforts appear to be bearing fruit." Central to the charm offensive: invitations to more than a dozen "Senate and House members into his family’s private box for some power-schmoozing with him and his kids" during the Republican National Convention.
Donald Trump essentially encouraged more Russian espionage against Democrats in a press conference this morning. "Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” he said. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.” That prompted Brendan Buck, spokesman for House Speaker Paul Ryan to say: “Russia is a global menace led by a devious thug. Putin should stay out of this election.”