NEW YORK — A new unspecified terror threat has forced State Department personnel to leave the U.S. Consulate office in Lahore, Pakistan. All non-emergency employees were moved to the main embassy in Islamabad on Friday, after “credible threat information” that was specific to Lahore surfaced. Officials says the threat is unrelated to previous vague threats that caused the closure of 19 embassies in the last week, and the evacuation of the embassy in Yemen.
The State Department also re-upped its general warning to Americans to avoid all “non-essential” travel to the country. The embassy would have been closed this weekend anyway, in observance of Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
There are also concerns that a rising tide of violence in Pakistan may turn its focus toward the Americans. At least 37 people were killed on Thursday when the funeral of a slain police officer was attacked by a suicide bomber. The Pakistani Taliban took credit for the bombing, which killed another 21 officers in the city of Quetta. On Friday, 10 more people were killed there when a gunman opened fire on worshippers at a mosque.
While the U.S. has been exercising an abundance of caution, the closure of the Mideast embassies has become a bragging point among jihadists and their supporters, who have seemingly managed to scare the American government without actually firing a shot.
Reprinted with permission from the Atlantic Wire. The original story can be found here.
What We're Following See More »
"An emerging government funding deal would see Democrats agree to $15 billion in additional military funding in exchange for the GOP agreeing to fund healthcare subsidies, according to two congressional officials briefed on the talks. Facing a Friday deadline to pass a spending bill and avert a shutdown, Democrats are willing to go halfway to President Trump’s initial request of $30 billion in supplemental military funding."
The Michael Flynn story is not going away for the White House as it tries to refocus its attention. The White House has denied requests from the House Oversight Committee for information and documents regarding payments that the former national security adviser received from Russian state television station RT and Russian firms. House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz and ranking member Elijah Cummings also said that Flynn failed to report these payments on his security clearance application. White House legislative director Marc Short argued that the documents requested are either not in the possession of the White House or contain sensitive information he believes is not applicable to the committee's stated investigation.
The Washington, D.C. area will undergo "a full-scale exercise" Wednesday morning "designed to prepare for the possibility of a complex coordinated terror attack in the National Capital Region." The drill will take place at six different sites throughout the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. The drill should not be taken as a sign that emergency services are expecting an attack, said Scott Boggs, Managing Director of Homeland Security and Public Safety at the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments.
The Presidential Inaugural Committee "acknowledged late Monday that a final report it filed with the Federal Election Commission this month was riddled with errors, many of which were first identified through a crowdsourced data project at HuffPost." The committee raised about $100 million for the festivities, but the 500-page FEC report, which detailed where that money came from, was riddled with problems. The likely culprit: a system of access codes sent out by the GOP's ticketing system. Those codes were then often passed around on the secondary market.