The House unanimously passed legislation Friday to legalize cell-phone unlocking, which would make it easier for consumers to switch providers without buying a new phone.
President Obama issued a statement saying he will sign the legislation into law.
“The bill Congress passed today is another step toward giving ordinary Americans more flexibility and choice, so that they can find a cell phone carrier that meets their needs and their budget,” he said.
The House already approved a similar bill in February, but that version included controversial language to keep people from unlocking phones in large batches. Consumer groups and many Democrats rallied against the provision, saying it undermined the bill.
The Senate approved a version of the bill earlier this month without the ban on bulk unlocking. The House then agreed to pass the Senate’s version of the bill.
“This is something that Americans have been asking for and I am pleased that we were able to work together to ensure the swift passage of legislation restoring the exemption that allowed consumers to unlock their cell phones,” House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte said in a statement.
Most contract cell phones come “locked” to one network. Because of a decision by the U.S. Copyright Office in 2012, customers must obtain their carriers’ permission to legally unlock their phones to switch to competitors — even after they have completed their contracts.
The decision prompted an immediate public backlash, and more than 114,000 people signed a White House petition in protest.
The Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act would overturn the office’s decision and would direct the office to consider whether to allow unlocking of other devices, such as tablets.
Consumer groups such as Public Knowledge and the Electronic Frontier Foundation support the bill, although they have also pushed for broader legislation that would amend the underlying copyright law.
The Copyright Office is set to update its rules on cell-phone unlocking anyway next year.
CTIA, the lobbying group for cell-phone carriers, argues the issue is overblown but backed the bill, saying it would at least “relieve consumer confusion.”
Under pressure from the Federal Communications Commission, all the major carriers already signed on to a commitment last year to allow their customers to unlock their phones.
What We're Following See More »
First, it was Sean Spicer. Then Reince Priebus. Now, presidential adviser Steve Bannon, perhaps the administration's biggest lightning rod for criticism, is out. “White House Chief of Staff John Kelly and Steve Bannon have mutually agreed today would be Steve’s last day,” the White House press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, said in a statement. “We are grateful for his service and wish him the best.” That's not to say the parting of ways isn't controversial. Bannon says he submitted his resignation on Aug. 7, but earlier today, "the president had told senior aides that he had decided to remove Mr. Bannon."
"The Trump administration has ended Operation Choke Point, the anti-fraud initiative started under the Obama administration that many Republicans argued was used to target gun retailers and other businesses that Democrats found objectionable. Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd told GOP representatives in a Wednesday letter that the long-running program had ended, bringing a conclusion to a chapter in the Obama years that long provoked and angered conservatives who saw Choke Point as an extra-legal crackdown on politically disfavored groups."
"Liberal groups are raising questions about a speaking appearance Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch plans to make next month at the Trump International Hotel in Washington. Gorsuch is scheduled to headline a luncheon celebrating the 50th anniversary of conservative group The Fund for American Studies on September 28, days before the next SCOTUS term begins October 2. Steve Slattery, a spokesman for The Fund for American Studies, said Gorsuch had nothing to do with venue choice, which was made long before the group asked Gorsuch to speak."
"The Trump administration has lost a handful of individuals serving in top cybersecurity roles across the federal government in recent weeks, even as it has struggled to fill high-ranking IT positions. The developments present hurdles for the new administration and speak to the longstanding challenge the federal government faces in competing with the private sector for top tech talent." Among those resigning is Richard Staropoli, "a former U.S. Secret Service agent who served as chief information officer (CIO) of the Department of Homeland Security for just three months," and Dave DeVries, the CIO at OPM. Separately, the White House announced today that President Trump has directed that United States Cyber Command be elevated to the status of a Unified Combatant Command focused on cyberspace operations.