Jon Stewart Gave Hillary Clinton an Impromptu Job Aptitude Test

“Do you have a favorite shape for that home office?”

Emma Roller
See more stories about...
Emma Roller
July 16, 2014, 3:29 a.m.

As an in­ter­view­er, it takes a lot of chutzpah to cut off Hil­lary Clin­ton mid-sen­tence. But that’s ex­actly what The Daily Show‘s Jon Stew­art did Tues­day night when he sat down across from the former sec­ret­ary of State to talk about her book, Hard Choices.

The 2016 ques­tion in­ev­it­ably came up. Clin­ton even tried to pree­mpt the ques­tion this time, but her well-planned bons mots were cut off by Stew­art.

“This is a really com­plex, and well reasoned, and an eye­wit­ness view to the his­tory of those four years,” Stew­art said as star­ted off the in­ter­view. “And I think I speak for every­body when I say … no one cares; they just want to know if you’re run­ning for pres­id­ent.”

“You know, Jon, I was go­ing to make an an­nounce­ment, but I mean, you kind of spoiled it for me,” Clin­ton joked.

“So that’s a yes. I’m gonna go with that’s a yes,” Stew­art said.

Stew­art then de­livered an im­promptu pres­id­en­tial-ca­reer aptitude test to Clin­ton.

“Do you like com­mut­ing to work, or do you like a home of­fice?” he asked.

“You know, I spent so many years com­mut­ing, I’d kind of prefer a home of­fice,” Clin­ton said.

“Do you have a fa­vor­ite shape for that home of­fice?” Stew­art asked. “Would you like it to have corners, or would you like it not to have corners?”

“You know, I think that the world is so com­plic­ated, the few­er corners that you can have, the bet­ter,” Clin­ton said, to the audi­ence’s de­light.

The in­ter­view then took a meta turn when Stew­art asked Clin­ton how she deals with in­tense me­dia scru­tiny. “Do you en­joy con­stant, non­stop cri­ti­cism?” Stew­art asked her.

“En­joy is prob­ably the wrong word,” Clin­ton said. “Ex­pect? Sur­vive? Live through? It just sort of comes with the ter­rit­ory.”

Stew­art then laid out his the­ory that if Clin­ton simply told the world she was not go­ing to run for pres­id­ent, all of the cri­ti­cism would stop. Does Clin­ton agree?

“I think a lot of people would lose their jobs if it all stopped,” she said. “I’ve been amazed at what a cot­tage in­dustry it is.”

Touché.

{{ BIZOBJ (video: 5078) }}

BACKING OUT ON BERNIE
Trump Won’t Debate Sanders After All
2 days ago
THE LATEST

Trump, in a statement: “Based on the fact that the Democratic nominating process is totally rigged and Crooked Hillary Clinton and Deborah Wasserman Schultz will not allow Bernie Sanders to win, and now that I am the presumptive Republican nominee, it seems inappropriate that I would debate the second place finisher. ... I will wait to debate the first place finisher in the Democratic Party, probably Crooked Hillary Clinton, or whoever it may be.”

AKNOWLEDGING THE INEVITABLE
UAW: Time to Unite Behind Hillary
3 days ago
THE DETAILS

"It's about time for unity," said UAW President Dennis Williams. "We're endorsing Hillary Clinton. She's gotten 3 million more votes than Bernie, a million more votes than Donald Trump. She's our nominee." He called Sanders "a great friend of the UAW" while saying Trump "does not support the economic security of UAW families." Some 28 percent of UAW members indicated their support for Trump in an internal survey.

AP KEEPING COUNT
Trump Clinches Enough Delegates for the Nomination
3 days ago
THE LATEST

"Donald Trump on Thursday reached the number of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president, completing an unlikely rise that has upended the political landscape and sets the stage for a bitter fall campaign. Trump was put over the top in the Associated Press delegate count by a small number of the party's unbound delegates who told the AP they would support him at the convention."

TRUMP FLOATED IDEA ON JIMMY KIMMEL’S SHOW
Trump/Sanders Debate Before California Primary?
3 days ago
THE LATEST
CAMPAIGNS INJECTED NEW AD MONEY
California: It’s Not Over Yet
3 days ago
THE LATEST

"Clinton and Bernie Sanders "are now devoting additional money to television advertising. A day after Sanders announced a new ad buy of less than $2 million in the state, Clinton announced her own television campaign. Ads featuring actor Morgan Freeman as well as labor leader and civil rights activist Dolores Huerta will air beginning on Fridayin Fresno, Sacramento, and Los Angeles media markets. Some ads will also target Latino voters and Asian American voters. The total value of the buy is about six figures according to the Clinton campaign." Meanwhile, a new poll shows Sanders within the margin of error, trailing Clinton 44%-46%.