Jon Stewart Gave Hillary Clinton an Impromptu Job Aptitude Test

“Do you have a favorite shape for that home office?”

Emma Roller
See more stories about...
Emma Roller
July 16, 2014, 3:29 a.m.

As an in­ter­view­er, it takes a lot of chutzpah to cut off Hil­lary Clin­ton mid-sen­tence. But that’s ex­actly what The Daily Show‘s Jon Stew­art did Tues­day night when he sat down across from the former sec­ret­ary of State to talk about her book, Hard Choices.

The 2016 ques­tion in­ev­it­ably came up. Clin­ton even tried to pree­mpt the ques­tion this time, but her well-planned bons mots were cut off by Stew­art.

“This is a really com­plex, and well reasoned, and an eye­wit­ness view to the his­tory of those four years,” Stew­art said as star­ted off the in­ter­view. “And I think I speak for every­body when I say … no one cares; they just want to know if you’re run­ning for pres­id­ent.”

“You know, Jon, I was go­ing to make an an­nounce­ment, but I mean, you kind of spoiled it for me,” Clin­ton joked.

“So that’s a yes. I’m gonna go with that’s a yes,” Stew­art said.

Stew­art then de­livered an im­promptu pres­id­en­tial-ca­reer aptitude test to Clin­ton.

“Do you like com­mut­ing to work, or do you like a home of­fice?” he asked.

“You know, I spent so many years com­mut­ing, I’d kind of prefer a home of­fice,” Clin­ton said.

“Do you have a fa­vor­ite shape for that home of­fice?” Stew­art asked. “Would you like it to have corners, or would you like it not to have corners?”

“You know, I think that the world is so com­plic­ated, the few­er corners that you can have, the bet­ter,” Clin­ton said, to the audi­ence’s de­light.

The in­ter­view then took a meta turn when Stew­art asked Clin­ton how she deals with in­tense me­dia scru­tiny. “Do you en­joy con­stant, non­stop cri­ti­cism?” Stew­art asked her.

“En­joy is prob­ably the wrong word,” Clin­ton said. “Ex­pect? Sur­vive? Live through? It just sort of comes with the ter­rit­ory.”

Stew­art then laid out his the­ory that if Clin­ton simply told the world she was not go­ing to run for pres­id­ent, all of the cri­ti­cism would stop. Does Clin­ton agree?

“I think a lot of people would lose their jobs if it all stopped,” she said. “I’ve been amazed at what a cot­tage in­dustry it is.”

Touché.

{{ BIZOBJ (video: 5078) }}

WEST WING REDUX
Allison Janney Takes to the Real White House Podium
11 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

Carolyn Kaster/AP

STAFF PICKS
When It Comes to Mining Asteroids, Technology Is Only the First Problem
12 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

Foreign Policy takes a look at the future of mining the estimated "100,000 near-Earth objects—including asteroids and comets—in the neighborhood of our planet. Some of these NEOs, as they’re called, are small. Others are substantial and potentially packed full of water and various important minerals, such as nickel, cobalt, and iron. One day, advocates believe, those objects will be tapped by variations on the equipment used in the coal mines of Kentucky or in the diamond mines of Africa. And for immense gain: According to industry experts, the contents of a single asteroid could be worth trillions of dollars." But the technology to get us there is only the first step. Experts say "a multinational body might emerge" to manage rights to NEOs, as well as a body of law, including an international court.

STAFF PICKS
Obama Reflects on His Economic Record
13 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

Not to be outdone by Jeffrey Goldberg's recent piece in The Atlantic about President Obama's foreign policy, the New York Times Magazine checks in with a longread on the president's economic legacy. In it, Obama is cognizant that the economic reality--73 straight months of growth--isn't matched by public perceptions. Some of that, he says, is due to a constant drumbeat from the right that "that denies any progress." But he also accepts some blame himself. “I mean, the truth of the matter is that if we had been able to more effectively communicate all the steps we had taken to the swing voter,” he said, “then we might have maintained a majority in the House or the Senate.”

STAFF PICKS
Reagan Families, Allies Lash Out at Will Ferrell
14 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

Ronald Reagan's children and political allies took to the media and Twitter this week to chide funnyman Will Ferrell for his plans to play a dementia-addled Reagan in his second term in a new comedy entitled Reagan. In an open letter, Reagan's daughter Patti Davis tells Ferrell, who's also a producer on the movie, “Perhaps for your comedy you would like to visit some dementia facilities. I have—I didn’t find anything comedic there, and my hope would be that if you’re a decent human being, you wouldn’t either.” Michael Reagan, the president's son, tweeted, "What an Outrag....Alzheimers is not joke...It kills..You should be ashamed all of you." And former Rep. Joe Walsh called it an example of "Hollywood taking a shot at conservatives again."

PEAK CONFIDENCE
Clinton No Longer Running Primary Ads
17 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

In a sign that she’s ready to put a longer-than-ex­pec­ted primary battle be­hind her, former Sec­ret­ary of State Hil­lary Clin­ton (D) is no longer go­ing on the air in up­com­ing primary states. “Team Clin­ton hasn’t spent a single cent in … Cali­for­nia, In­di­ana, Ken­tucky, Ore­gon and West Vir­gin­ia, while” Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-VT) “cam­paign has spent a little more than $1 mil­lion in those same states.” Meanwhile, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Sanders’ "lone back­er in the Sen­ate, said the can­did­ate should end his pres­id­en­tial cam­paign if he’s los­ing to Hil­lary Clin­ton after the primary sea­son con­cludes in June, break­ing sharply with the can­did­ate who is vow­ing to take his in­sur­gent bid to the party con­ven­tion in Phil­adelphia.”