State and local efforts to improve public-health responses to a potential unconventional attack on U.S. soil are getting another infusion of federal funding.
The U.S. Health and Human Services Department announced on Tuesday that it was awarding more than $840 million in fiscal 2014 grants to state and community public-health programs that could be called on in the event of a naturally occurring disease epidemic, or a biological, chemical or nuclear attack.
“Community and state preparedness is essential to the health security of all Americans,” Nicole Lurie, HHS assistant secretary for preparedness and response, said in provided remarks. “Events in the last few years have demonstrated how critical it is for health systems across the country to be ready and able to respond quickly and effectively.”
The grants are being dispersed through two different programs: the Public Health Emergency Preparedness initiative, which supports efforts by laboratories and researchers to contain disease outbreaks, and the Hospital Preparedness Program, which works to improve coordination among different medical centers for responding to possible large-scale emergencies.
The hospital-readiness effort is getting $228.5 million for the current fiscal year. In comparison, the initiative received $332 million in fiscal 2013 and $352 million in fiscal 2012, according to previous reporting. The Public Health Emergency Preparedness program is to receive nearly $612 million in fiscal 2014. That compares to $584 million in fiscal 2013 and $619 million in fiscal 2012.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."