President Obama has asked Congress for $500 million to train and equip moderate elements of the Syrian opposition.
The sum is part of a $1.5 billion Regional Stabilization Initiative that would also establish partnerships with Syria’s neighbors — Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, and Iraq — to offset the threat of extremism that has already overflowed into Iraq. In addition, it would help these countries deal with the hundreds of thousands of refugees who have been displaced by the fighting in Syria.
This initiative draws from the Counterterrorism Partnerships Fund, a $5 billion program the president announced at West Point in May.
“These funds would help defend the Syrian people, stabilize areas under opposition control, facilitate the provision of essential services, counter terrorist threats, and promote conditions for a negotiated settlement,” said National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden in a statement on Thursday.
The U.S. already conducts secret CIA-run programs to train the moderate opposition in Syria, but this new initiative would broaden its involvement in the country.
This announcement comes days after the president pledged to send up to 300 military advisers to Iraq to train and coordinate with Iraqi government forces in their battle with ISIS, a Sunni militant group. The Syrian opposition, like ineffective government forces in Iraq, will likely prove difficult partners in the fight against extremism in the region. But as the appetite for military intervention in the U.S. hits historic lows, the president turns to strategic partnerships such as these in hopes that a locally led counteroffensive would be viewed as more legitimate and would be more likely to bring about lasting stability.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."