On Monday, both India and Pakistan accused the other side of violating a 2003 cease fire at the Line of Control, the border that divides Kashmir into Indian- and Pakistani-controlled halves, Time reported.
A spokesperson for the Indian Defense Ministry told reporters that Indian military posts had been targeted in the early morning hours of Monday by Pakistani troops. The Indian government asserts that this is the fifth instance in which Pakistani military personnel have violated the cease fire in the last three days, according to Time.
Meanwhile, Pakistan accused India of firing artillery shells “unprovoked” onto the Pakistani side of the Line of Control and of targeting two check posts, according to the news magazine.
While no deaths were reported in India during the night, Pakistan claimed the Indian shelling killed a civilian and injured another, according to Time.
A meeting between Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was being worked out, but the violence that has stemmed from the original “ambush” on Aug. 6 has thrown those plans in doubt. The Pioneer reported that Singh is being called on to boycott the proposed meeting in New York by India’s “strategic community,” part of an overall effort by conservative pundits to end what they see as appeasement toward Pakistan.
Late last week, Indian Defense Minister A.K. Antony said that “it is now clear that specialist troops of the Pakistani Army were involved” in the early-August ambush.
Ajit Doval, the former director of India’s Intelligence Bureau, told the Pioneer that “the government should not assume that the new Pak PM, Nawaz Sharif, is committed to improving ties with India. Our consulate in Jalalabad has been subject to a terrorist attack for the first time, raising serious questions about the timing.”
The consulate was targeted by suicide bombers early this month, according to the Hindu. While Afghan security forces prevented suicide bombers from entering the consulate, 12 people died outside when explosives were detonated.
What We're Following See More »
"Members of the Congressional Black Caucus are reviving calls to remove Confederate statues from the Capitol following the violence at a white nationalist rally in Virginia." Rep. Cedric Richmond, the group's chair, told ABC News that "we will never solve America's race problem if we continue to honor traitors who fought against the United States." And Mississippi Rep. Bennie Thompson said, “Confederate memorabilia have no place in this country and especially not in the United States Capitol." But a CBC spokesperson said no formal legislative effort is afoot.