Israel, Arab Nations Differ on Mideast Nuclear-free Zone: U.N. Official

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
Aug. 20, 2013, 7:02 a.m.

Ef­forts by the In­ter­na­tion­al Atom­ic En­ergy Agency to help per­suade Is­rael and Ar­ab na­tions to agree on a path to­ward a Middle East free of nuc­le­ar arms and oth­er weapons of mass de­struc­tion have been un­suc­cess­ful thus far, ac­cord­ing to a new re­port by agency head Yukiya Amano’s of­fice, Re­u­ters re­por­ted on Tues­day.

In­ter­changes have re­vealed that there still is a “fun­da­ment­al dif­fer­ence of views” between Ar­ab na­tions and Is­rael, but Amano will con­tin­ue try­ing to bridge the di­ver­ging per­spect­ives, ac­cord­ing to his team.

IAEA mem­ber na­tions last year tasked Amano with meet­ing with of­fi­cials from the re­gion to dis­cuss bring­ing all atom­ic pro­grams un­der agency safe­guards. Is­rael is thought to be the area’s sole nuc­le­ar-weapons na­tion, but it by policy does not con­firm or deny its ar­sen­al and is not a mem­ber of the Nuc­le­ar Non­pro­lif­er­a­tion Treaty.

In a doc­u­ment is­sued last week, ahead of the agency’s plen­ary meet­ing in mid-Septem­ber, Amano said he backed ex­plor­a­tion of “rel­ev­ant new ideas and ap­proaches.” However, no head­way was achieved on ap­ply­ing “com­pre­hens­ive agency safe­guards cov­er­ing all nuc­le­ar activ­it­ies in the re­gion,” the re­port said.

It re­mains un­clear when, if ever, a re­gion­al con­fer­ence will be held on ne­go­ti­at­ing a weapons-of-mass-de­struc­tion-free zone for the en­tire Middle East. Plans to hold the U.N.-backed for­um in late 2012 ul­ti­mately were aban­doned after Is­rael would not con­firm wheth­er it would par­ti­cip­ate.

Is­rael and the United States have sup­por­ted the idea of at­tend­ing such a con­fer­ence un­der cer­tain con­di­tions. At the same time, they have main­tained that a re­gion­al ban on nuc­le­ar weapons could not be achieved as long as Ir­an con­tin­ues its con­tro­ver­sial atom­ic de­vel­op­ment activ­it­ies and there is no broad­er Ar­ab-Is­raeli peace ar­range­ment.

What We're Following See More »
BIGGEST SHAKEUP OF ALL?
Bannon Is Out at the White House
1 hours ago
THE LATEST

First, it was Sean Spicer. Then Reince Priebus. Now, presidential adviser Steve Bannon, perhaps the administration's biggest lightning rod for criticism, is out. “White House Chief of Staff John Kelly and Steve Bannon have mutually agreed today would be Steve’s last day,” the White House press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, said in a statement. “We are grateful for his service and wish him the best.” That's not to say the parting of ways isn't controversial. Bannon says he submitted his resignation on Aug. 7, but earlier today, "the president had told senior aides that he had decided to remove Mr. Bannon."

Source:
INITIATIVE TARGETED GUN RETAILERS, OTHERS
Trump Ends Obama’s “Operation Choke Point”
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The Trump administration has ended Operation Choke Point, the anti-fraud initiative started under the Obama administration that many Republicans argued was used to target gun retailers and other businesses that Democrats found objectionable. Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd told GOP representatives in a Wednesday letter that the long-running program had ended, bringing a conclusion to a chapter in the Obama years that long provoked and angered conservatives who saw Choke Point as an extra-legal crackdown on politically disfavored groups."

Source:
LIBERALS RAISE CONFLICT OF ISSUE QUESTIONS
Gorsuch to Deliver Speech at Trump Hotel
4 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Liberal groups are raising questions about a speaking appearance Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch plans to make next month at the Trump International Hotel in Washington. Gorsuch is scheduled to headline a luncheon celebrating the 50th anniversary of conservative group The Fund for American Studies on September 28, days before the next SCOTUS term begins October 2. Steve Slattery, a spokesman for The Fund for American Studies, said Gorsuch had nothing to do with venue choice, which was made long before the group asked Gorsuch to speak."

Source:
CYBER COMMAND ELEVATED AT DOD
Administration Faces Exodus of Top Cybersecurity Officials
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The Trump administration has lost a handful of individuals serving in top cybersecurity roles across the federal government in recent weeks, even as it has struggled to fill high-ranking IT positions. The developments present hurdles for the new administration and speak to the longstanding challenge the federal government faces in competing with the private sector for top tech talent." Among those resigning is Richard Staropoli, "a former U.S. Secret Service agent who served as chief information officer (CIO) of the Department of Homeland Security for just three months," and Dave DeVries, the CIO at OPM. Separately, the White House announced today that President Trump has directed that United States Cyber Command be elevated to the status of a Unified Combatant Command focused on cyberspace operations.

Source:
SAYS TRUMP JUST ATTACKING REPUBLICANS
Former Top Aide to McConnell Says GOPers Should Abandon Trump
1 days ago
THE LATEST
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login