Insiders: New Syrian Chemical War Allegations Under U.S. Inquiry

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
Aug. 20, 2013, 8:02 a.m.

U.S. in­tel­li­gence of­fi­cials are look­ing in­to fresh chem­ic­al-strike re­ports emer­ging from civil-war-torn Syr­ia, among them an Au­gust in­cid­ent said to have taken place north­east of Dam­as­cus, in­siders told For­eign Policy magazine for a Monday re­port.

Al­leg­a­tions of chem­ic­al-weapons use have fallen sig­ni­fic­antly in quant­ity since early June, around the time that gov­ern­ment forces seized Qusair in a key mil­it­ary win for Pres­id­ent Bashar As­sad’s re­gime. U.S. of­fi­cials see the re­cent drop-off in at­tacks, once the gov­ern­ment had ob­tained the up­per hand in the con­flict, as a sign that it likely was re­spons­ible for un­leash­ing chem­ic­als earli­er, when As­sad’s mil­it­ary was seen to be los­ing battles.

Pres­id­ent Obama last year said any use of Syr­ia’s large chem­ic­al ar­sen­al would breach a “red line” and could force a strong U.S. re­sponse.

One U.S. in­tel­li­gence of­fi­cial said, though, that “as long as they keep body count at a cer­tain level, we won’t do any­thing.”

The in­siders ad­ded that they re­portedly are mon­it­or­ing on­go­ing trans­fers near Khan Abu Shamat and oth­er ma­jor chem­ic­al-weapons store­houses over­seen by As­sad’s forces.

Mean­while, U.N. Sec­ret­ary Gen­er­al Ban Ki-moon on Monday said in­ter­na­tion­al in­vest­ig­at­ors had launched an on-the-ground as­sess­ment of three in­cid­ents of al­leged chem­ic­al arms use in Syr­ia. The ef­fort would con­tin­ue for at least two weeks and could “be ex­ten­ded by mu­tu­al con­sent,” he said in a state­ment to re­port­ers.

“The mis­sion must have full ac­cess to the sites of the al­leged in­cid­ents,” the U.N. chief stated. “This in­cludes ac­cess to the re­por­ted sites to un­der­take the ne­ces­sary ana­lyses and to col­lect samples. It also in­cludes in­ter­views and ex­am­in­a­tion of wit­nesses, vic­tims, at­tend­ing med­ic­al per­son­nel as well as the con­duct of post­mortem ex­am­in­a­tions.”

He noted, though, that war­time con­di­tions would “un­doubtedly af­fect the mis­sion’s activ­it­ies.”

“If con­firmed, the use of chem­ic­al weapons by any side un­der any cir­cum­stances must be held ac­count­able and would con­sti­tute an in­ter­na­tion­al crime,” he ad­ded.

The prime min­is­ter of neigh­bor­ing Jordan on Monday said his gov­ern­ment is boost­ing chem­ic­al-war­fare read­i­ness near its bor­der with Syr­ia, in part by ramp­ing up its armed-forces pres­ence in the area.

“It is our duty to pro­tect our cit­izens, bor­der vil­lages and par­tic­u­larly the Zaatari refugee camp” against any Syr­i­an chem­ic­al arms, Prime Min­is­ter Ab­dul­lah En­sour said in com­ments re­por­ted by Deutsche Presse-Agen­tur.

What We're Following See More »
“HORRIBLE” AND “PAINFUL”
Trump Addresses Threats On Jewish Community Centers
1 hours ago
THE DETAILS
COULD COME TUESDAY
Trump Set To Issue New Travel Ban
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Donald Trump is set to issue a new and more focused executive order clarifying the scope of his travel ban, hoping that the order will survive legal challenges. The new order would focus on the same seven countries, "but would only bar entry to those without a visa and who have never entered the United States before. Unlike the original order, people from those countries who already have permanent U.S. residency (green cards) or visas would not face any restrictions." Some lawyers believe the government will now have much stronger standing, though lawyers who challenged the initial order see the same core problems with the forthcoming ban.

Source:
KELLOGG WILL RETURN TO NSC COS
Trump Taps Lt. Gen. McMaster as NSC Head
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Donald Trump announced Monday that Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster will serve as his next national security adviser, filling the void left last week by the sudden dismissal of Michael Flynn. ... Retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, who had been serving as the acting national security adviser since Flynn's exit, will return to his role as chief of staff of the National Security Council." The pick was widely praised on both sides of the aisle.

Source:
PLANS TO CURB ITS POWER
Pruitt Confirmed As EPA Head
3 days ago
BREAKING
WOULD HAVE REPLACED FLYNN
Harward Turns Down NSC Job
4 days ago
THE LATEST

"Ret. Vice Adm. Bob Harward turned down President Donald Trump's offer to be national security adviser Thursday, depriving the administration of a top candidate for a critical foreign policy post days after Trump fired Michael Flynn." Among the potential reasons: his family, his lack of assurances that he could build his own team, and that "the White House seems so chaotic."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login