In Nevada, some 7,300 miles from Damascus, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid got an update on the administration’s position on the Syrian conflict this afternoon.
His aides say the Senate majority leader might be half a world away from the war and half a continent away from Washington, but he’s as plugged into the government’s conversations about how to proceed in Syria as anyone in Congress.
But the Senate’s top Democrat has kept a decidedly low profile as President Obama wrestles with whether to send missiles into Syria after Bashar al-Assad’s government used chemical weapons on its citizens.
Indeed, unlike a handful of other Democrats, Reid has not yet said how he prefers the administration to proceed. One of Reid’s top lieutenants and the No. 3 Democrat in the Senate, Chuck Schumer of New York, attended an intelligence briefing by teleconference on Thursday with U.S. officials and suggested he would back the administration if it chose to launch a strike. (Reid did not join the call, and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell also did not participate.)
“A limited action to knock out his capability of delivering chemical weapons in the future could be appropriate, but we have to be very careful not to let our involvement escalate,” Schumer said in a statement.
Asked why his lieutenants shared their positions while Reid has not, a Senate Democratic aide said it was too early to formulate a position. “Things are still developing,” the aide said.
The reason for keeping such a low profile, according to former Reid aide Jim Manley, is straightforward. There’s little upside for the majority leader to speak up before the president has made his decision public.
“He’s predisposed to support the president and would urge his colleagues to do so as well,” Manley said.
Still, it seems Reid soon will have to confront a question that’s gaining momentum: Should the president seek congressional authorization before launching a military strike in Syria? A growing number of lawmakers, including at least one Senate Democrat, are clamoring for such an authorization. Rep. Scott Rigell, R-Va., recruited some 140 lawmakers, including 21 Democrats, to sign a petition urging Obama to get congressional authorization for a military strike.
House Speaker John Boehner is calling for the president to tell Congress and the public what he’s planning to do, stressing the need for the White House to consult with lawmakers.
“If the president believes this information makes a military response imperative, it is his responsibility to explain to Congress and the American people the objectives, strategy, and legal basis for any potential action,” said Boehner spokesman Brendan Buck.
There’s at least one good reason to suggest Reid might not insist the president get Congress’ blessing. Some Republicans are already signaling they would not authorize an attack.
“We can’t simply launch a few missiles and hope for the best,” said Sen. James Inhofe, the ranking Republican on the Armed Services Committee.
That’s a point not lost on Senate Democrats. Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Sen. Bob Menendez said that while he would like to see the president seek congressional support before a launch, Menendez pointed out that under the War Powers Act, the president has the authority to engage the armed forces for up to 60 days without legislative permission.
A timeline for when Reid might stake a position is murky. In May, Reid indicated he preferred a cautious approach to war. Even as reports swirled then that chemical weapons had been used, the majority leader showed little eagerness to react quickly.
“My personal feeling is that the evidence shows that [Assad] has used chemical weapons. But remember, we have been through this before,” Reid said, according to the Las Vegas Sun, recalling the Iraq war. “The yellow cake [uranium], remember that? There was a rush to judgment and a war; that was one of the reasons we rushed to war.”
What We're Following See More »
An estimated $15.6 billion, "according to a Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration report."
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) “is the subject of an ongoing investigation by the FBI and … the Justice Department” for potentially improper contributions to his 2013 campaign, including while he was a Clinton Global Initiative board member. ... Among the McAuliffe donations that drew the interest of the investigators was $120,000 from” former Chinese legislator Wang Wenliang. “U.S. election law prohibits foreign nationals from donating to … elections. … But Wang holds U.S. permanent resident status.”
"Donald Trump is reviving some of the ugliest political chapters of the 1990s with escalating personal attacks on Bill Clinton's character, part of a concerted effort to smother Hillary Clinton 's campaign message with the weight of decades of controversy. Trump's latest shot came Monday when he released an incendiary Instagram video that includes the voices of two women who accused the former president of sexual assault, underscoring the presumptive Republican nominee's willingness to go far beyond political norms in his critique of his likely Democratic rival. ...In one recent interview, Trump said another topic of potential concern is the suicide of former White House aide Vincent Foster, which remains the focus of intense and far-fetched conspiracy theories on the Internet."
"The head of security for the Transportation Security Administration, Kelly Hoggan, has been removed from his position after a hearing about the agency's management, the House Oversight Committee says." Deputy assistant administrator Darby LaJoye will take over for Hoggan on a temporary basis.
"Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx has appointed a veteran legal insider with strong personal ties to the Obama administration to serve as his special adviser focused exclusively on fixing the Washington region’s troubled Metro system. Kathryn Thomson, who was expected to leave her job as the Department of Transportation’s top lawyer, instead will stay on as Foxx’s special adviser on Metro oversight." She'll start this week.