The Celebrification of the White House Staff

Ronald Reagan’s former chief of staff says serving as the president’s right-hand man isn’t the job it used to be.

In this photo provided by the White House, President Ronald Reagan meets with outgoing Chief of Staff Howard Baker, left, and incoming Chief of Staff Ken Duberstein, right, in the Oval Office, June 14, 1988.
National Journal
Lucia Graves
Add to Briefcase
Lucia Graves
Sept. 16, 2013, 1:02 p.m.

We’ve be­come ac­cus­tomed to the celebri­fic­a­tion of the White House staff. We read about their birth­days in Play­book, their mar­riages in The New York Times and even what shoes they wear in — wait for it — The Wash­ing­ton Post.

But Ken Duber­stein, formerly chief of staff to Ron­ald Re­agan, says work­ing in the White House was once a much more be­hind-the-scenes kind of job. Par­tic­u­larly for the White House chief of staff.

“The job has grown,” he said, “not ne­ces­sar­ily in stature, be­cause all your power is de­riv­at­ive and it’s in­side, but in the sense of the pub­lic pro­file. Back in my day, the White House chief of staff had a pas­sion for an­onym­ity.”

His com­ments to Na­tion­al Journ­al came shortly after cur­rent White House Chief of Staff Denis Mc­Donough took to the air­waves to make the ad­min­is­tra­tion’s case for a Syr­ia strike, ap­pear­ing on five ma­jor Sunday-morn­ing talk shows in ad­vance of Pres­id­ent Barack Obama’s prime-time ad­dress last Tues­day. Mc­Donough served as a fig­ure­head for Obama, mak­ing the case that the U.S. needs to help en­force the in­ter­na­tion­al pro­hib­i­tion against chem­ic­al weapons by tak­ing ac­tion against Syr­i­an Pres­id­ent Bashar al-As­sad.

That kind of blanket me­dia ap­pear­ance con­trasts with how a chief of staff would act in Duber­stein’s day. “You were work­ing there on be­half of the pres­id­ent,” he said. “You didn’t have 10 people or 15 people on your staff. It was you and the staff co­ordin­at­or. Now it has be­come an in­sti­tu­tion.”

Duber­stein was speak­ing to Na­tion­al Journ­al from the red car­pet screen­ing of The Pres­id­ents’ Gate­keep­ers, the newly re­leased doc­u­ment­ary based on in­ter­views with all 20 of the liv­ing White House chiefs of staff.

Al­though the doc­u­ment­ary, which premiered Wed­nes­day on the Dis­cov­ery Chan­nel, nev­er settles on a single nar­rat­ive about how the role of White House staff has evolved, at­tendees at last week’s premiere had some ideas of their own.

Reg­gie Love, the 31-year-old former per­son­al aide to Pres­id­ent Obama, told Na­tion­al Journ­al the only change in White House staff he’d no­ticed had more to do with something else: “The only thing I no­ticed that was very dif­fer­ent was that I was the only Afric­an-Amer­ic­an.”

What We're Following See More »
AT LEAST 19 TODAY
Jewish Community Keeps Receiving Threats
3 minutes ago
THE DETAILS
DECLINES TO HEAR APPEAL
SCOTUS Leaves Political Ad Disclosure Law In Place
3 hours ago
BREAKING

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear an appeal to the "federal disclosure rules for political advertising," leaving in place the ruling by a lower court upholding a law requiring the disclosure of donors to political ads. The appeal came from "a Denver-based libertarian think tank that wanted to run an ad without being forced to divulge its major donors," which argued that the requirement was a violation of first amendment rights under the Court's Citizens United decision.

Source:
ENLISTS THEIR HELP IN REPEAL/REPLACE
Trump Meets with Health Execs
3 hours ago
THE LATEST
WOULD CUT NON-DEFENSE BY SAME AMOUNT
Trump Budget Would Bump Defense Spending by $54 Billion
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The Trump administration is proposing a budget it says will increase defense spending by $54 billion and cut non-defense spending by the same amount. The White House is sending a topline budget proposal reflecting those figures to federal agencies on Monday afternoon, according to an Office of Management and Budget official." An unnamed OMB official said most federal agencies would face cutbacks.

Source:
WILL THE DINNER HAPPEN?
Trump To Skip Correspondents Dinner
7 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Saturday that he would not attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in April. The move did not come as a surprise, another moment in his ongoing battle with the media, which he has dubbed the "enemy" of the American people and repeatedly refers to as "fake news." Multiple outlets have already cancelled their events surrounding the dinner and several are considering skipping the event outright.

×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login