A Russian official on Wednesday questioned the validity of a new U.N. analysis of an August sarin nerve agent strike in Syria, raising the possibility that Russia could stymie any moves by the United States and its allies to impose punishment on Damascus for not surrendering its chemical arsenal, Reuters reported.
“We are disappointed, to put it mildly, about the approach taken by the U.N. secretariat and the U.N. inspectors, who prepared the report selectively and incompletely,” Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov told his country’s RIA Novosti news agency. He referred to the U.N. forensic analysis, released on Monday, as “politicized” and “one-sided.”
The United Nations’ analysis confirms chemical weapons were used in the Aug. 21 attack in a suburb of Damacus, but doesn’t assign blame on the government or rebel fighters.
The Syrian regime, meanwhile, has handed Russian officials what Ryabkov on Wednesday described as “evidence that the [Syrian] rebels are implicated in the chemical attack,” Agence France-Presse quoted him as saying after he met with Syrian President Bashar Assad’s top envoy. Moscow will “examine the Syrian materials implicating the rebels with the utmost seriousness,” he added in comments reported by Russian media.
Speaking on Tuesday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said there are “serious grounds to believe that this [Aug. 21 attack] was a provocation” intended to prompt “foreign intervention” against the Assad regime in the Middle Eastern country’s bloody civil war, Reuters reported. Lavrov, at a press briefing in Moscow, called for the U.N. findings to be examined alongside a reporter’s testimony, statements from “nuns at a nearby convent,” and data found online.
Washington’s envoy to the United Nations, though, on Tuesday said the U.N. findings “make clear” that last month’s strike was the work of Assad’s regime. The Obama administration has blamed the incident for the deaths of more than 1,400 people, and only backed away from threats of an immediate military response after hammering out plans with Russia for eliminating the Syrian government’s chemical-warfare stocks.
“Rockets that the U.N. says were used in the attack and that tested positive for sarin are the same rockets used by the regime in previous attacks,” U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power stated at a U.N. General Assembly discussion. “They bore none of the characteristics of jerry-rigged, improvised weapons. They had sophisticated barometric fuses to disperse the nerve agent in the air and not on impact.”
U.N. findings also indicate that sarin from the strike was of higher quality than material once stockpiled by Iraq under Saddam Hussein, Power said.
“This was a professionally executed massacre by the [Assad] regime, which is known to possess one of the world’s largest undeclared stockpiles of sarin,” she said.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius offered a similar take on the U.N. report, Reuters reported. “When you look at the amount of sarin gas used, the vectors, the techniques behind such an attack, as well as other aspects, it seems to leave no doubt that the regime is behind it,” Fabius said on Tuesday.
Russia does not want an initial U.N. Security Council resolution on the disarmament plan to endorse armed strikes or other punitive action for possible noncompliance by Damascus, though it has not ruled out allowing such authorization at a later date, envoys told the New York Times for a Tuesday article. Moscow wields veto authority on the 15-nation body.
The United States will “continue to press” for a U.N. measure that permits punitive steps, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said in Tuesday comments reported by Reuters. Syria’s chemical disarmament “will happen only with the United Nations passing a strong resolution. It will happen with the enforcement of the world, with Russia standing by us in this effort,” he said.
Still, the United States “reserves the right to take military action” independent of U.N. authorization, State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters on Tuesday.
What We're Following See More »
Trump, in a statement: “Based on the fact that the Democratic nominating process is totally rigged and Crooked Hillary Clinton and Deborah Wasserman Schultz will not allow Bernie Sanders to win, and now that I am the presumptive Republican nominee, it seems inappropriate that I would debate the second place finisher. ... I will wait to debate the first place finisher in the Democratic Party, probably Crooked Hillary Clinton, or whoever it may be.”
"It's about time for unity," said UAW President Dennis Williams. "We're endorsing Hillary Clinton. She's gotten 3 million more votes than Bernie, a million more votes than Donald Trump. She's our nominee." He called Sanders "a great friend of the UAW" while saying Trump "does not support the economic security of UAW families." Some 28 percent of UAW members indicated their support for Trump in an internal survey.
"Donald Trump on Thursday reached the number of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president, completing an unlikely rise that has upended the political landscape and sets the stage for a bitter fall campaign. Trump was put over the top in the Associated Press delegate count by a small number of the party's unbound delegates who told the AP they would support him at the convention."
"Clinton and Bernie Sanders "are now devoting additional money to television advertising. A day after Sanders announced a new ad buy of less than $2 million in the state, Clinton announced her own television campaign. Ads featuring actor Morgan Freeman as well as labor leader and civil rights activist Dolores Huerta will air beginning on Fridayin Fresno, Sacramento, and Los Angeles media markets. Some ads will also target Latino voters and Asian American voters. The total value of the buy is about six figures according to the Clinton campaign." Meanwhile, a new poll shows Sanders within the margin of error, trailing Clinton 44%-46%.