BlackBerry debuted its Z30 phone on Wednesday as its new flagship smartphone. There’s nothing wrong with you if you missed this. Because with all of the excitement over the new iPhone that was released Friday (you can get it in gold!), it was hard to think about the technological dinosaur that is BlackBerry.
And that Z30 may have a very short life span.
On Friday, BlackBerry briefly halted its shares before announcing its disastrous second-quarter revenue results. The company’s $1.6 billion quarterly haul came in well short of investors’ expectations of around $3 billion, according to CNBC. Over the quarter, the company shipped just 3.7 million phones while racking up a net operating loss of $995 million in the second quarter.
On top of that, confirming reports from The Wall Street Journal, BlackBerry announced a massive layoff of 4,500 employees out of a total of around 12,700. That’s around 35 percent of BlackBerry’s total staff. BlackBerry isn’t even done with the worst of Friday yet, as shares are down over 20 percent as of about 4 p.m.
At the end of August, BlackBerry director Bert Nordberg told WSJ that he thought the company could survive as a “niche company,” and that there wasn’t much sense in “battling” Apple or Google. With a newly announced plan to reduce operating expenditures by 50 percent by 2015, going small doesn’t even seem like much of a choice.
BlackBerry, once the unquestioned king of the Washington, D.C., smartphone market, has even had trouble surviving in Congress over the last year. But that doesn’t mean it’ll be too easy for members of Congress and Capitol Hill staffers to just trade in their BlackBerry phones for gold iPhones. Because there’s already a long wait list.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."