Recently taken surveillance satellite photographs suggest that North Korea in late August tested an engine for one of its long-range rockets, according to a Monday analysis by the expert website 38 North.
The belief that a new test was carried out at the Dongchang-ri missile launch complex is predicated upon a number of factors “including the presence of a probable rocket stage, a crane necessary to mount and remove the rocket engine and propellant tanks on the test stand, instrumentation used to monitor tests as well as changes in the appearance of vegetation in front of the flame trench [from green to brown] and instead the flame trench,” reads the analysis by image expert Nick Hansen.
38 North said it could not determine which type of engine was tested. North Korea is developing several different kinds of rockets, including the Unha 3 that can be adapted to act as ICBMs. The country carried out its first successful long-range rocket launch last December, clearing an important hurdle in the march toward a credible intercontinental-ballistic missile.
Meanwhile, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi at a Friday forum in Washington insisted Pyongyang is “ready to come back to” a September 2005 joint statement with the United States, which would commit North Korea to gradually shuttering its nuclear-weapons programs in exchange for phased infusions of foreign economic assistance and international security guarantees, Kyodo News reported. He said his country also is prepared to return to a February 2012 agreement with Washington in which Pyongyang agreed to implement a moratorium on nuclear weapons testing and the enrichment of uranium in return for U.S. food assistance.
Beijing has been pushing for a return to formal aid-for-denuclearization negotiations with Pyongyang. However, other participants in the frozen six-nation process — namely South Korea, the United States and Japan — have said they do not see any point in holding new talks right now as North Korea has not shown any willingness to stop its nuclear weapons development.
Onetime head U.S. nuclear negotiator to North Korea, Christopher Hill, in an interview with the Yonhap News Agency said even though the North has not shown any interest in stopping its nuclear activities, the United States has no other choice but to engage with Pyongyang.
Separately, China on Monday published a 236-page list of names of “dual-use technologies” that it will not sell to North Korea as they could potentially be adapted for use developing weapons of mass destruction, Reuters reported. The list contains a number of dangerous pathogens such as Ebola as well as products that might be used to construct and fuel atomic reactors.
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.