An international task force arrived in Syria on Wednesday to continue probing allegations of chemical-arms use in the civil war-torn country, Reuters reported.
The U.N. group’s previous trip to Syria coincided with a deadly incident it later attributed to a significant release of sarin nerve gas. The Obama administration blamed Damascus for the strike and prepared to potentially retaliate with force against President Bashar Assad’s regime. Washington set that plan aside, though, after negotiating a blueprint with Moscow to corral and dispose of the Syrian government’s chemical-warfare stockpile.
Chemical-arms disclosures filed by Damascus for the plan appear to be largely comprehensive, and they generally line up with U.S. intelligence findings that the government has approximately 45 facilities to manufacture or hold the weapons, Western government sources told the Los Angeles Times on Tuesday.
The declarations are “not necessarily 100 percent accurate, and we aren’t naive,” one of the insiders said.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minster Sergei Lavrov on Tuesday held a “very constructive” meeting on a draft U.N. Security Council resolution to back up the chemical-disarmament plan, a high-level State Department source told reporters. The sides have differed on how to handle any noncompliance by Damascus.
The leader of Syria’s main Western-backed opposition group separately stressed his “disappointment” to Kerry “that there hadn’t been a military strike” in response to last month’s gas attack, a senior State Department official said in a Tuesday news briefing.
Kerry attempted to assuage the rebel leader’s concerns, according to the insider.
“The secretary said that after Bashar al-Assad has used chemical weapons on his own people, after he has killed tens of thousands, it is impossible for us to imagine that he would play any role in a subsequent transition government,” the official said.
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.