Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is traveling in Asia, far from the dysfunction of Washington where Congress has once again hijacked his ability to plan his budget. First there was sequestration, now there’s a government shutdown and, in a matter of months, another fight over sequestration and this year’s budget.
“The Pentagon … has no budget. We are still living under this dark cloud of uncertainty not knowing what’s going to happen. This reflects on our missions around the world. It reflects our allies’ questioning our commitments. It affects our planning as we are in the process, as you know, of preparing a 2015 budget as we are preparing for further significant cuts under the current law, Budget Control Act 2011, which means $52 billion in additional cuts,” Hagel said during a stop in Seoul, South Korea.
Hagel has been talking to Deputy Secretary Ash Carter, Comptroller Bob Hale and acting General Counsel Bob Taylor to find a way to mitigate the pain of the shutdown, namely how to exempt more civilian workers from furloughs. He said national security is not at risk, but “when you take that number of civilian employees out of the mix of every day planning and working — and they all work with these kinds of things — you’re going to impact readiness. You’re going to impact a mission. There’s no point in kidding about that.”
Pentagon leaders are struggling to match their strategic goals — winding down the war in Afghanistan, rebalancing to Asia while keeping an eye on the Middle East, becoming a leaner military — without knowing what budget conditions they’re operating under.
“It would be nice to say we do a strategy and then we derive a budget. And in good times, in normal times, we’re a lot closer to that,” Hale said in a recent interview with Defense One. “So I think it would be disingenuous to say that we aren’t — there are budget-driven decisions that are happening right now. We are trying to keep in mind the strategy in every way that we can, but we have meet some of the legally binding budget targets.”
Hagel, a former senator who joined Congress in 1997 just after the last government shutdown, said he’s frustrated by the gridlock in Congress.
“I do worry,” he said, “about the essence of governing in a democracy and that we’ve seemed to lose, and that is consensus and compromise. No democracy can govern itself without consensus and compromise. It is impossible. And we seem to have lost that. We have seemed to have lost our way in that being an objective of governing.”
Reprinted with permission from Defense One. The original story can be found here.
What We're Following See More »
"Donald J. Trump said on Wednesday that he expected to reveal his vice presidential pick sometime in July—before the Republican National Convention in Cleveland—but added that he would soon announce a committee to handle the selection process, which would include Dr. Ben Carson." He said he's inclined to name a traditional political figure, unlike himself.
"Groups have flocked to the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs to ask for last-minute changes" to the Department of Labor's new overtime rules, which would require that businesses pay overtime to any salaried employee making more than $50,440 per year, up from the current $23,660. Business interests, as well as some nonprofits, say the move could lead to mass change in workers' statuses, from salaried to hourly. "The White House office held 22 meetings on the proposal in April, according to its calendar, and groups say more meetings are planned this week." Last month, National Journal's Alex Brown reported on how the change might affect Washington.
Republican gun-for-hire Ed Rollins is hopping on the bandwagon, er, the Great America PAC, "an outside group that’s supporting Trump. ... Rollins isn’t the only GOP mainstay coming around to Trump. In recent days, Republican veterans including Republican National Committeeman Ron Kaufman and former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman have expressed an openness to him."
John Kasich is apparently the last domino to fall on the GOP side. NBC is reporting he's suspending his presidential campaign. His path to the Republican nomination seemed all but impossible—even at a contested convention—but he may have finally given up. The Washington Examiner reports Kasich has canceled a press conference at Dulles Airport, "and will instead hold one in Columbus, Ohio, at 5 p.m."
"As Donald Trump captures the mantle of presumptive Republican nominee, a new poll finds he begins his general election campaign well behind Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton. The new CNN/ORC Poll, completed ahead of Trump's victory last night, found Clinton leads 54% to 41%, a 13-point edge over the New York businessman, her largest lead since last July. Clinton is also more trusted than Trump on many issues voters rank as critically important, with one big exception. By a 50% to 45% margin, voters say Trump would do a better job handling the economy than Clinton would."