SM-3 Block 1B Missile Interceptor Passes Test, Nears Full-Production

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
Oct. 4, 2013, 10:02 a.m.

The Pentagon on Thursday con­duc­ted a suc­cess­ful op­er­a­tion­al flight test of the Stand­ard Mis­sile 3 Block 1B mis­sile in­ter­cept­or — the suc­cess of which means the Pentagon is get­ting closer to giv­ing the or­der to start full-scale pro­duc­tion of the weapon.

De­fense De­part­ment plans call for Block 1B in­ter­cept­ors to be fielded in Ro­mania in 2015 and in Po­land in 2018 as part of the United States’ con­tri­bu­tion to NATO’s bal­list­ic mis­sile shield.

The de­fens­ive weapon also is ex­pec­ted to be fielded throughout the coun­try’s fleet of 28 Ae­gis-equipped war­ships and on Ja­pan’s fleet of four Ae­gis mis­sile des­troy­ers, ac­cord­ing to a Mis­sile De­fense Ad­vocacy Al­li­ance press re­lease.

The or­der to be­gin “sus­tained pro­duc­tion” of the in­ter­cept­or will not be giv­en un­til after a com­pre­hens­ive two-month as­sess­ment has been com­pleted of the data col­lec­ted from Thursday’s in­ter­cept test, U.S. Mis­sile De­fense Agency spokes­man Richard Lehner said in a Fri­day e-mail.

The test in­volved the in­ter­cep­tion of a me­di­um-range dummy bal­list­ic mis­sile. The tar­get was fired from the Pa­cific Mis­sile Range Fa­cil­ity on the is­land of Kauai in Hawaii around 7:30 loc­al time. After pick­ing up and mon­it­or­ing the tar­get’s flight path us­ing a ship­board radar, the USS Lake Erie launched a Block 1B against the dummy mis­sile, which was elim­in­ated by a hit-to-kill war­head re­leased by the in­ter­cept­or, ac­cord­ing to a Pentagon press re­lease.

This week’s test comes shortly after an­oth­er suc­cess­ful Block 1B in­ter­cept tri­al in Septem­ber.

The in­ter­cept­or is de­signed to counter short-, me­di­um-, and in­ter­me­di­ate-range bal­list­ic mis­siles dur­ing the mid­course phase of their flight. The Pentagon has already ordered 67 Block 1B mis­siles from weapons de­veloper Ray­theon, Lehner said.

What We're Following See More »
POTENTIAL GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN?
Democrats Threaten Spending Bill Over Obamacare
2 hours ago
BREAKING

Democrats in the House are threatening to shut down the government if Republicans expedite a vote on a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare, said Democratic House Whip Steny Hoyer Thursday. Lawmakers have introduced a one-week spending bill to give themselves an extra week to reach a long-term funding deal, which seemed poised to pass easily. However, the White House is pressuring House Republicans to take a vote on their Obamacare replacement Friday to give Trump a legislative victory, though it is still not clear that they have the necessary votes to pass the health care bill. This could go down to the wire.

Source:
IN 2014
Pentagon Warned Flynn Not To Accept Foreign Payments
4 hours ago
BREAKING
WOULD PUSH DEADLINE TO MAY 5
One-Week Spending Bill On The Table
4 hours ago
BREAKING

Members of Congress are eyeing a one-week spending bill which would keep the government open past the Friday night deadline, giving lawmakers an extra week to iron out a long-term deal to fund the government. Without any action, the government would run out of funding starting at midnight Saturday. “I am optimistic that a final funding package will be completed soon," said Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen, R-N.J., chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.

Source:
WILL BE RENEGOTIATED
Trump: I’m Not Pulling Out of NAFTA
6 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump informed Mexican President Pena Nieto and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Wednesday afternoon that he will not pull the U.S. from the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) despite reports earlier in the day that he had considered doing so. ... The three leaders agreed to proceed quickly with renegotiation plans as the initial review process comes to a close."

Source:
NEVADA LAWMAKERS STILL NOT SATISFIED
House Puts Yucca Mountain Back on the Table
7 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"A new bill to revive a permanent nuclear waste repository in Yucca Mountain, Nev., fails to address the concerns of Nevada lawmakers, suggesting the latest attempt may not resolve a 20-year impasse over the issue." The state's congressional delegation "shared their opposition to the nuclear waste policy amendment during a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing focused on the legislation," and promised that Gov. Brian Sandoval would oppose it at every turn. "The new bill aims to finally use some $31 billion that has accumulated in the Nuclear Waste Fund, set aside in 1982 to collect specifically for a permanent repository."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login