Defense workers are the next victims of Washington spending battles, and it’s not just the 400,000 Defense Department civilians furloughed this week. As Washington braces for a prolonged government shutdown, defense contractors are starting to send workers on unpaid leave as the Pentagon does not have enough on-duty workers to perform inspections on progress of government contracts.
Defense giant Lockheed Martin announced on Friday it will furlough about 3,000 employees from across all its business areas starting on Monday.
Many defense contracts, technically, should not have been significantly affected by a shutdown, since the money that funds their contracts was largely obligated in prior years. However, since the Defense Contract Management Agency, which monitors those contracts, has furloughed 85 percent of its personnel during the government shutdown, companies’ work has slowed since quality control and certification processes have virtually ceased in many factories.
“This is a domino effect. Because the Defense civilians were laid off, they can’t approve production at the major military contractors,” Lexington Institute chief operating officer Loren Thompson, also a consultant to Lockheed, tells National Journal. “Therefore, the contractors start [temporarily] laying off, and that impacts their suppliers.”
It also jeopardizes production of weapons systems. “What would happen to the sausage industry if all the meat inspectors were laid off?” Thompson continued. “It would grind to a halt, no pun intended. That’s what’s happening here to the defense industry. It’s gradually slowing down.”
Lockheed expects the number of employees affected by the shutdown to grow, Lockheed CEO Marillyn Hewson said in a memo: “I’m disappointed that we must take these actions, and we continue to encourage our lawmakers to come together to pass a funding bill that will end this shutdown.”
More companies are expected to follow suit; 1,000 contractors who work in BAE Systems’ intelligence and security sectors were sent home and up to 15 percent of its workforce could be impacted. “Our Government Relations team is following this closely and is not optimistic for a near-term solution,” CEO Linda Hudson said in a memo. “Just as this is disruptive to our customers… it is disruptive to everyone in our company.”
Defense contractors in many cases have thousands of suppliers spread across the country to support their programs, and disruptions in production at the top of the food chain trickle down to small companies already struggling with the consequences of sequestration and program cancellations and delays. National Journal has reported previously about how the price of top weapons programs could rise as manufacturers lay off employees and costs are passed down the supply chain. The Aerospace Industries Association and the National Defense Industrial Association penned a letter on Thursday to Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel worrying that, like with sequestration cuts, “the prime contractors must pass along their reduced spending in orders to the thousands of small subcontractors that make up the industrial base supply chain.”
The industry associations are also concerned about companies inability to “reconstitute critical talent in the workforce when the shutdown is over.”
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.