A top Obama administration official Tuesday accidentally used the n-word on an official White House Twitter account.
“@jmartNYT also a much n——- factor on the right,” Dan Pfeiffer, a senior Obama adviser, Tweeted in response to a New York Times reporter.
Pfeiffer deleted the Tweet shortly after, replacing it with an apology for what he labeled a “horrendous typo.”
Pfeiffer presumably meant to write “bigger factor,” as the letters “b” and “n” are adjacent on the “qwerty” keyboard.
Pfeiffer is one of the administration’s most active Twitter presences, known for conversing with political reporters and taking on opponents with tough rhetoric. He has been on a Twitter tirade against Republicans throughout the debate over the government shutdown, haranguing House Speaker John Boehner over his refusal to hold a vote on a “clean” extension of the budget.
Pfeiffer’s racial-slur typo prompted outrage from a host of Twitter users, and it caught the eye of the Daily Caller, which said that Pfeiffer is being shown a degree of understanding over the typo that would not be afforded to a Republican.
“Dan Pfeiffer is among the many people who get paid, with your tax dollars, to lie for the White House. Twitter is one of the places Pfeiffer tells those lies. But this morning, courtesy of New York Magazine, he used it to show us the truth about himself,” wrote the DC’s Jim Treacher. “I think we all know what happened here: Dan Pfeiffer is a huge racist, and for a brief moment he let the mask slip. Just kidding, of course. It’s not like he’s a Republican! Therefore, we must give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant to type ‘bigger.’ “
New York Magazine took a lighter tone in a piece headlined “And This Is Why You Should Always Double-Check Your Tweets Before Posting.”
What We're Following See More »
"The Trump administration is ending a humanitarian program that has allowed some 59,000 Haitians to live and work in the United States since an earthquake ravaged their country in 2010, Homeland Security officials said on Monday. Haitians with what is known as Temporary Protected Status will be expected to leave the United States by July 2019 or face deportation. ... About 320,000 people now benefit from the Temporary Protected Status program, which was signed into law by President George Bush in 1990."
"A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities. U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration's argument that the executive order applies only to a relatively small pot of money and said Trump cannot set new conditions on spending approved by Congress. The judge had previously made the same arguments in a ruling that put a temporary hold on the executive order."