Russia, U.S. to Update Nuclear Crisis Communications

None

Diane Barnes, Global Security Newswire
See more stories about...
Diane Barnes, Global Security Newswire
Oct. 18, 2013, 12:02 p.m.

WASH­ING­TON — A new U.S.-Rus­si­an deal made pub­lic on Thursday paves the way for the former Cold War rivals to bring their nuc­le­ar-arms com­mu­nic­a­tions in­to the di­git­al age.

The ac­cord signed this month up­dates a 1987 pact, which es­tab­lished an arms-con­trol-com­mu­nic­a­tion of­fice in each coun­try, so that it now al­lows up­dates to cer­tain com­mu­nic­a­tions equip­ment at the of­fices. The two “Nuc­le­ar Risk Re­duc­tion Cen­ters” — loc­ated at the Rus­si­an De­fense Min­istry in Mo­scow and the U.S. State De­part­ment in Wash­ing­ton — have con­duc­ted routine data swaps re­quired un­der more than a dozen treat­ies, but they provide a means of com­mu­nic­a­tion that could be im­port­ant for use dur­ing any high-stakes nuc­le­ar crisis.

“The Cold War is now long over, but thou­sands of nuc­le­ar weapons re­main, and we both re­cog­nize a re­spons­ib­il­ity to do everything pos­sible to keep each oth­er ap­praised of im­port­ant de­vel­op­ments in or­der to avoid mis­un­der­stand­ings and po­ten­tially cata­stroph­ic con­sequences,” U.S. Sec­ret­ary of State John Kerry said at an Oct. 7 news con­fer­ence, after sign­ing the new ar­range­ment with Rus­si­an For­eign Min­is­ter Sergei Lav­rov. The State De­part­ment on Thursday re­leased the text of the re­vised agree­ment, which still bears the ini­tial title “Agree­ment Between the United States of Amer­ica and the Uni­on of So­viet So­cial­ist Re­pub­lics on the Es­tab­lish­ment of Nuc­le­ar Risk Re­duc­tion Cen­ters.”

Wash­ing­ton last year briefed Mo­scow on a num­ber of tech­no­logy im­prove­ments at the U.S. nuc­le­ar of­fice. However, cer­tain equip­ment covered in the 1987 agree­ment is less up-to-date.

“Ba­sic­ally the old agree­ment was an en­cryp­ted line able to send faxes,” said Mat­thew Bunn, an as­so­ci­ate pro­fess­or at Har­vard Uni­versity’s John F. Kennedy School of Gov­ern­ment who served as a nuc­le­ar se­cur­ity ad­viser to the Clin­ton ad­min­is­tra­tion.

“The new agree­ment is an en­cryp­ted line for full di­git­al com­mu­nic­a­tions, text, im­ages, etc.,” Bunn told Glob­al Se­cur­ity News­wire over e-mail. “It’s ba­sic­ally bring­ing it in­to the mod­ern age.”

This month’s agree­ment strikes from the pre­vi­ous one ref­er­ences to floppy disks and low-band­width com­mu­nic­a­tions lines. Now it grants the sides more flex­ib­il­ity in de­term­in­ing how fast their com­puters can trade se­cured “text and graph­ics files,” ac­cord­ing to its text.

The deal also al­lows the coun­tries to rely in part on “com­mer­cial com­mu­nic­a­tions chan­nels” for their data trans­mis­sions.

However, the pact does not fully en­trust nuc­le­ar-arms re­cord­keep­ing to di­git­al tech­no­logy. Spe­cific­ally, it states that “a print­er shall be used” by each coun­try to pro­duce hard cop­ies of ex­changed ma­ter­i­als.

To date, the U.S. and Rus­si­an nuc­le­ar cen­ters have com­pleted more than 5,000 “day-to-day” in­form­a­tion swaps un­der the New START treaty, Rose Got­te­moeller, act­ing un­der sec­ret­ary of State for arms con­trol and in­ter­na­tion­al se­cur­ity, noted in a speech earli­er this month.

What We're Following See More »
‘PULLING A TRUMP’
GOP Budget Chiefs Won’t Invite Administration to Testify
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

The administration will release its 2017 budget blueprint tomorrow, but the House and Senate budget committees won’t be inviting anyone from the White House to come talk about it. “The chairmen of the House and Senate Budget committees released a joint statement saying it simply wasn’t worth their time” to hear from OMB Director Shaun Donovan. Accusing the members of pulling a “Donald Trump,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the move “raises some questions about how confident they are about the kinds of arguments that they could make.”

Source:
A DARK CLOUD OVER TRUMP?
Snowstorm Could Impact Primary Turnout
21 hours ago
THE LATEST

A snowstorm is supposed to hit New Hampshire today and “linger into Primary Tuesday.” GOP consultant Ron Kaufman said lower turnout should help candidates who have spent a lot of time in the state tending to retail politicking. Donald Trump “has acknowledged that he needs to step up his ground-game, and a heavy snowfall could depress his figures relative to more organized candidates.”

Source:
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
A Shake-Up in the Offing in the Clinton Camp?
16 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Anticipating a primary loss in New Hampshire on Tuesday, Hillary and Bill Clinton “are considering staffing and strategy changes” to their campaign. Sources tell Politico that the Clintons are likely to layer over top officials with experienced talent, rather than fire their staff en masse.

Source:
THE LAST ROUND OF NEW HAMPSHIRE POLLS
Trump Is Still Ahead, but Who’s in Second?
3 hours ago
THE LATEST

We may not be talking about New Hampshire primary polls for another three-and-a-half years, so here goes:

  • American Research Group’s tracking poll has Donald Trump in the lead with 30% support, followed by Marco Rubio and John Kasich tying for second place at 16%. On the Democratic side, Bernie Sanders leads Hillary Clinton 53%-41%.
  • The 7 News/UMass Lowell tracking poll has Trump way out front with 34%, followed by Rubio and Ted Cruz with 13% apiece. Among the Democrats, Sanders is in front 56%-40%.
  • A Gravis poll puts Trump ahead with 28%, followed by Kasich with 17% and Rubio with 15%.
×