Lost in the hubbub surrounding the malfunctioning HealthCare.gov is another missed deadline and closed door for millions of Americans seeking health insurance: CuidadoDeSalud.gov.
The Spanish-language site still does not allow consumers to enroll for exchange coverage, a delay that was previously estimated by administration officials to last until mid-October.
A spokeswoman from the Health and Human Services Department declined to comment on when consumers will be able to sign up for health insurance on CuidadoDeSalud.gov and whether the additional delay is related to the malfunctions on the English language site, HealthCare.gov.
Roughly 10.2 million Latinos in the United States do not have health insurance, according to HHS data.
But Spanish speakers — along with Americans frustrated by the HealthCare.gov experience — are being directed to a toll-free number, 800-318-2596, for help with the sign-up process, which President Obama says would involve a 25-minute call for individuals and 45 minutes for families.
“Additional features for online enrollment will be available as we make upgrades to the site,” HHS spokeswoman Joanne Peters said in an email.
On CuidadoDeSalud.gov, consumers can search for specialists in their communities who can assist in completing paper applications. The site also contains educational information about the Affordable Care Act and advertises the call center, which has bilingual staff on hand 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
To date, the call center has fielded 41,000 Spanish-language calls, HHS said.
The continued holdup of CuidadoDeSalud.gov has staff at the National Hispanic Leadership Agenda pressing the White House to get a move on. The NHLA kicked off the National Hispanic Health Week of Action on Monday.
“This is a critical priority for the Latino community, that they have access to affordable health care,” NHLA Chairman Hector Sanchez said.
The NHLA is advising communities to apply by phone and paper, but said it will likely have another outreach campaign once the Spanish-language site begins accepting applications.
“The message here is that we have six months to get this done,” Sanchez said. “Even with these glitches, the process is easier than it was before.”
MOST READ
What We're Following See More »
Michael Bloomberg "has told confidants" he is preparing to run for president as a Democrat, according to the The Times of London. "Mr Bloomberg, 76, a former mayor of New York with a personal fortune of more than $50 billion, has previously considered running as an independent but decided against it in 2012 for fear of splitting the Democratic vote."
“I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation,” said SCOTUS nominee Brett Kavanaugh said in a statement. “I did not do this back in high school or at any time.” Meanwhile, Judiciary Committee Chair Chuck Grassley released a letter from 65 of Kavanaugh's high school classmates, saying he "behaved honorably."
"The Violence Against Women Act, which was set to expire Sept. 30, will be extended through Dec. 7 under a stopgap spending bill released Thursday. ... Congress first passed the landmark domestic violence law in 1993 and most recently reauthorized it in 2013."
"President Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, has agreed to plead guilty to federal crimes at a hearing Friday morning, officials said. The planned plea, if accepted by a judge, would short-circuit his second trial scheduled to begin later this month in the District on charges of money laundering and lobbying violations. The details of Manafort’s plea were not immediately clear, including whether he would be providing any information to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III as part of any deal."





