Japan on Monday threw its support behind a U.N. First Committee statement that discourages the use anywhere of nuclear weapons but stops short of calling for their ban, Kyodo News reported.
Japan’s support of the statement is significant because Tokyo three times previously has refused to sign-on to similar committee statements out of concern they conflicted with a national defense policy that relies in part on the U.S. nuclear umbrella.
“It is in the interest of the very survival of humanity that nuclear weapons are never used again, under any circumstances,” reads the statement by the First Committee, which focuses on security and disarmament matters.
The statement was brought forward by New Zealand and gained the support of an unprecedented 125 nations, approximately 66 percent of the U.N. general membership.
Japan is the only nation to ever come under a nuclear attack. The experience of the 1945 bombings of the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki has turned Japan into one of the world’s biggest proponents of universal denuclearization, yet it wants this goal to happen in a gradual manner. The United States for decades has provided extended deterrence to Japan, which is concerned about the nuclear-weapons programs of its neighbors — China and North Korea.
New Zealand Ambassador for Disarmament Dell Higgie said “some changes” had been made to the language of the statement “at Japan’s request, which has facilitated their involvement.”
The 2013 statement does not discuss “outlawing” nuclear arms as a 2012 statement did. This year’s statement notes various “approaches and efforts toward nuclear [disarmament]” — language that allowed governments such as Tokyo to support it as it allows for the phased elimination of nuclear weapons.
Norway and Denmark, which as members of NATO receive nuclear deterrence protection, also supported the statement. It was not backed by any of the world’s nuclear powers.
A separate effort is taking place in the First Committee to gain support for a Japanese resolution that for the 20th year calls for the worldwide elimination of nuclear weapons.
What We're Following See More »
"President Trump is expected to announce that Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci will be White House communications director, according to two sources familiar with the planning. Trump has left the role open since Mike Dubke resigned in May, and the President has vented frequently to his friends about the performance of his press operation." According to NBC News, Steve Bannon and Reince Priebus are resisting the move.
"President Donald Trump's second-quarter job approval rating has fallen below what any other past president has gotten during the same time frame. A new Gallup poll found that Trump averaged a 38.8% rating between April 20 and July 19. The average approval rating for that time is 62%. President Obama was at the average during this time period, as was President Nixon. President Clinton is the only president who was below 50% by the second quarter, coming in with a 44% approval rating." There is also a large partisan gap. "Just 8% of Democrats approved of Trump's job performance during the second quarter, but 85% of Republicans did. Approval ratings have become increasingly polarized in recent administrations, but the 77-point gap for Trump is a new record."
"The US government will soon prohibit American citizens from traveling to North Korea, according to two tour groups that cater to Western tourists who want to visit the secretive country. The US will announce the ban within a couple of days, said Simon Cockerell, general manager of Beijing-based Koryo Tours. The agency was informed of the development by officials of the Swedish government, which represents America's interests in North Korea, he told CNN."
"Federal arts and humanities programs targeted for elimination by the Trump administration would get a lifeline from House appropriators willing to ignore the president’s proposal and keep them running. The $31.5 billion fiscal 2018 Interior-Environment spending bill approved by the House Appropriations Committee on Tuesday includes $145 million for the National Endowment for the Arts. While that’s still a 3.2 percent cut from the fiscal year 2017 enacted level, it is more than $116 million above Trump’s budget request. The National Endowment for the Humanities would receive $145 million in fiscal 2018, which is $103.7 million above the White House budget request."
"The White House’s Office of Management and Budget detailed Thursday how it would jettison hundreds of existing or planned regulations as part of its larger push to ease federal restrictions on the private sector, upending federal policies on labor, the environment and public health. ... The Trump administration said it was pulling or suspending 860 pending regulations."