Kerry, Netanyahu Draw Differing Lines on Iran Nuclear Dispute

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
Oct. 23, 2013, 11:02 a.m.

U.S. Sec­ret­ary of State John Kerry and Is­raeli Prime Min­is­ter Ben­jamin Net­an­yahu on Wed­nes­day met to dis­cuss Ir­an’s nuc­le­ar pro­gram, when the Middle East­ern lead­er offered more spe­cif­ics than his U.S. coun­ter­part did for how he wants Ir­an to ad­dress in­ter­na­tion­al fears that it is pur­su­ing a nuc­le­ar weapon.

“It is of ma­jor con­cern to all of us that Ir­an not be able to de­vel­op a nuc­le­ar weapon,” Kerry told re­port­ers be­fore start­ing the closed-door meet­ing with Net­an­yahu, ac­cord­ing to a State De­part­ment tran­script. “We will need to know that ac­tions are be­ing taken which make it crys­tal clear, un­deni­ably clear, failsafe to the world, that whatever pro­gram is pur­sued is in­deed a peace­ful pro­gram.”

The United States and five oth­er gov­ern­ments last week joined Ir­an for talks aimed at ul­ti­mately de­fus­ing atom­ic ten­sions with Tehran, which in­sists its nuc­le­ar am­bi­tions are peace­ful. Plans are in place for a Nov. 7-8 fol­low-up meet­ing between Ir­a­ni­an dip­lo­mats and coun­ter­parts from the five per­man­ent U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil mem­ber na­tions and Ger­many.

Net­an­yahu, whose gov­ern­ment is not par­ti­cip­at­ing in the talks, said in the pub­lic re­marks that he agreed with Kerry that “Ir­an must not have a nuc­le­ar-weapons cap­ab­il­ity.” He then went a step fur­ther, re­new­ing his pre­vi­ous de­mand that Ir­an dis­mantle all urani­um-en­rich­ment and heavy-wa­ter equip­ment cap­able of gen­er­at­ing nuc­le­ar-bomb fuel.

“I think we’re very close to get­ting that,” Net­an­yahu said. “The best way to get it peace­fully is to main­tain the pres­sure on Ir­an.”

The Is­raeli lead­er said “it would be a tra­gic mis­take” to ease eco­nom­ic sanc­tions against Ir­an “right be­fore that goal is real­ized.”

A high-level Obama in­sider said the White House is con­sid­er­ing a full or par­tial re­lease of Ir­a­ni­an fin­an­cial as­sets frozen in oth­er coun­tries, as well as po­ten­tial re­lief from re­stric­tions on sales of ci­vil­ian-air­craft com­pon­ents to Ir­an, For­eign Policy re­por­ted on Tues­day.

In a sep­ar­ate in­ter­view with the magazine, Is­raeli In­tel­li­gence Min­is­ter Yuval Stein­itz said “Ir­an is now com­ing to the ne­go­ti­at­ing table solely be­cause of the pres­sure.”

“They are really on the verge of the col­lapse and that’s the reas­on they’re com­ing to the ne­go­ti­at­ing table with some will­ing­ness to ne­go­ti­ate,” Stein­itz said in the re­marks pub­lished on Tues­day.

“The pres­sure on the re­gime is enorm­ous. You can get a very ser­i­ous agree­ment for this. Don’t give it up so eas­ily,” he main­tained. “And don’t give them ex­tra oxy­gen while you’re ne­go­ti­at­ing with them. On the con­trary, in­crease the pres­sure.”

What We're Following See More »
ANNOUNCED BY SCARAMUCCI
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Is New Press Secretary
3 hours ago
THE LATEST
SAYS IT WAS “AN HONOR”
Spicer Staying on Through August
4 hours ago
THE LATEST
FIRST IN WEEKS
On-Camera Press Briefing Today at 2
5 hours ago
WHY WE CARE
HE LASTED SIX MONTHS
Sean Spicer Resigns
5 hours ago
THE LATEST

He resigned this morning, "telling President Trump he vehemently disagreed with the appointment of New York financier Anthony Scaramucci as communications director." Per Politico, "chief of staff Reince Priebus and chief strategist Steve Bannon" were opposed to the appointment, while "Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump, National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn, and Deputy National Security Adviser Dina Powell" were supportive..."Another White House official said Spicer was gracious while breaking the news of his departure, offered some praise for Scaramucci, while saying he would help with a transition."

Source:
STAFF IS PUSHING BACK
Trump Wants Scaramucci to Helm WH Communications
8 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump is expected to announce that Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci will be White House communications director, according to two sources familiar with the planning. Trump has left the role open since Mike Dubke resigned in May, and the President has vented frequently to his friends about the performance of his press operation." According to NBC News, Steve Bannon and Reince Priebus are resisting the move.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login