Pirates off the coast of Nigeria kidnapped two Americans early Wednesday, adding to an increasing trend seen in that region.
A report from Reuters shows that pirates attacked a U.S.-flagged oil vessel, kidnapping the captain and chief engineer, both of whom are U.S. citizens.
The FBI and the State Department are leading the American response to the pirate attack. Reuters also reports that there is a small U.S. Marine unit in the region that might be called to respond.
While piracy on the world’s seas is at its lowest levels in the last seven years, according to the International Chamber of Commerce’s International Maritime Bureau, Nigeria continues to be the main source of piracy in the Gulf of Guinea. In the first nine months of 2013, there were 29 incidents of piracy off the Nigerian coast.
Reuters explains why this region is such a hot spot for recent pirate attacks:
Unlike the dangerous waters off Somalia and the Horn of Africa on the east coast of Africa, through which ships now speed with armed guards on board, many vessels have to anchor to do business off West African countries, with little protection.
Overall, piracy is decreasing worldwide. Here are some of the numbers from the International Maritime Bureau, as of Oct. 17, accounting for the first nine months of 2013:
- There have been 188 piracy incidents. By comparison, there were 233 incidents in the first nine months of 2012.
- The number of people taken hostage has dropped by 192 since last year, sitting at 266 people.
- Thirty-four people were kidnapped.
- Pirates hijacked 10 vessels, fired at 17 vessels, and boarded 140 vessels.
- One seafarer was killed. Additionally, 20 people were injured and one person is still missing.
What We're Following See More »
The Supreme Court announced "that it would consider a challenge to President Trump’s latest effort to limit travel from countries said to pose a threat to the nation’s security." The case concerns Trump's most recent attempt to make good on a campaign promise "tainted by religious animus" and only questionably justified by national security concerns. The decision to take the case, called Trump v. Hawaii, comes almost exactly a year after Trump issued the first travel ban. The ban under consideration affects Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Chad and North Korea.
Trump wants to move the two grants, the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas grant and the Drug Free Communities Act, to the Justice and Health and Human Services departments, respectively. This would result in a $300 million plus reduction in funding, about 95 percent of the cost of the Office of National Drug Control Policy. "'I’m baffled at the idea of cutting the office or reducing it significantly and taking away its programs in the middle of an epidemic,'" said Regina LaBelle, who served as ONDCP chief of staff during the Obama administration. This is the second time the Trump Administration has proposed gutting the agency.
A new report assembled by the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has identified more than 500 potential conflicts of interest in President Trump's first year. First, the report notes, Trump spent 122 days at his properties during his first year. He has been accompanied by 70 federal officials and 30 members of Congress. "Second, far from this signaled access to power being an empty promise, those who patronize President Trump’s businesses have, in fact, gained access to the president and his inner circle." Lastly, about 40 special interest groups and 11 foreign governments have held events at Trump properties.