Denmark has joined Norway in offering to help destroy hundreds of tons of chemical-warfare materials amassed by Syria’s embattled government, U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon told reporters on Wednesday.
“I was told by Prime Minister [Helle] Thorning-Schmidt yesterday that the Danish government would … be ready to provide their full support, whatever it may be,” the U.N. chief said at a news conference in Copenhagen.
Syrian President Bashar Assad admitted his forces possess chemical weapons and agreed to their destruction in September, after a nerve-gas attack weeks earlier raised the possibility of U.S. military intervention in his country’s civil war. The leader agreed to the chemical arsenal’s elimination, prompting a fast-track disarmament push overseen by United Nations and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.
The chemical-weapons watchdog on Wednesday said disarmament workers appeared set to meet a Nov. 1 deadline for destroying the Assad regime’s technology for producing, mixing and loading chemical arms.
“What it means is that [Syria’s government] will no longer have the capability to produce any more chemical weapons, and it will no longer have any working equipment to mix and to fill chemical weapons agent into munitions,” OPCW spokesman Michael Luhan told reporters.
The U.N. chief said destroying the warfare chemicals themselves “will be the most challenging phase” when it begins at the start of next month.
Ban voiced appreciation for “very positive support” coming from a number of governments, but he declined to name which additional countries have offered assistance.
“Our joint [disarmament] mission led by Sigrid Kaag will be in close consultations with member states under the direction [and] guidance from myself” and OPCW Director General Ahmet Üzümcü, he said.
Whether NATO member nations would offer disarmament assistance was a closely watched question on Wednesday, when the 28-nation alliance wrapped up a meeting of its defense leaders and a separate gathering with Russian delegates.
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen told journalists he expects Moscow and alliance members “would stand ready to assist the U.N. and OPCW if requested.”
He added, though, that participants in Wednesday’s NATO-Russia Council meeting did not confer on “concrete action” to support the chemical stockpile’s destruction.
Speaking separately at the end of the two-day NATO Defense Ministerial, U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said “it may well be that NATO will be asked for some assistance.”
No plans are in place for “U.S. forces” to support the disarmament operation in any manner, he added at a press conference.
Meanwhile, U.S. Ambassador to Syria Robert Ford was conferring on Wednesday with Syrian rebel forces “on the ground,” State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said in a news briefing.
International efforts to convene a peace meeting in Geneva appeared to encounter an roadblock on Tuesday, when Syria’s primary Western-backed opposition group this week ruled out participating in any peace meeting that does not seek Assad’s removal from power. Earlier this week, the Syrian president indicated he was intent on staying in office.
“We’re going to keep increasing our assistance and our aid to the folks on the ground and hopefully get everybody eventually to a Geneva 2 conference,” Harf said. “Changing the balance of power on the ground is … a means, not an end.”
What We're Following See More »
The Democratic National Committee issued a formal apology to Bernie Sanders today, after leaked emails showed staffers trying to sabotage his presidential bid. "On behalf of everyone at the DNC, we want to offer a deep and sincere apology to Senator Sanders, his supporters, and the entire Democratic Party for the inexcusable remarks made over email," DNC officials said in the statement. "These comments do not reflect the values of the DNC or our steadfast commitment to neutrality during the nominating process. The DNC does not—and will not—tolerate disrespectful language exhibited toward our candidates."
The chairman of the DCCC said Debbie Wasserman Schultz won't be getting financial help from the organization this year, even as she faces a well-funded primary challenger. "Rep. Ben Ray Luján (D-NM) said the committee’s resources will be spent helping Democrats in tough races rather than those in seats that are strongholds for the party." Executive Director Kelly Ward added, “We never spend money in safe seats."
Debbie Wasserman Schultz has given up her last remaining duty at this week's convention. Now, she's told her hometown newspaper, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, that she will not gavel in the convention today. Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake will do the honors instead. "I have decided that in the interest of making sure that we can start the Democratic convention on a high note that I am not going to gavel in the convention," Wasserman Schultz said.
Perhaps this talk of unity has been overstated. Addressing a room full of his supporters today, Bernie Sanders heard "sustained boos" when he said he said it was essential that we elect Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine.
The FBI this morning issued a statement saying it is "investigating a cyber intrusion involving the DNC," adding that "a compromise of this nature is something we take very seriously." Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton's campaign is suggesting that the hack "was committed by Russia to benefit Donald Trump."