Obamacare ‘Tech Surge’ Draws From Google, Oracle

“˜Dozens’ enlisted to help repair HealthCare.gov

National Journal
Sam Baker
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Sam Baker
Oct. 31, 2013, 11:17 a.m.

Tech­no­logy ex­perts from Google and Or­acle are part of the “tech surge” the Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion has en­lis­ted to help fix the Obama­care en­roll­ment site.

Of­fi­cials from the Cen­ters for Medi­care and Medi­caid Ser­vices said Thursday that it has brought in “dozens” of out­side ex­perts to help re­pair Health­Care.gov. It’s the closest the ad­min­is­tra­tion has come to dis­clos­ing spe­cif­ics about the “tech surge,” which Pres­id­ent Obama an­nounced last week.

CMS said the team in­cludes Mi­chael Dick­er­son, an en­gin­eer from Google, and Greg Ger­sh­man, a “de­veloper and en­tre­pren­eur with ex­per­i­ence run­ning agile de­vel­op­ment teams and cre­at­ing bet­ter user ex­per­i­ences when in­ter­act­ing with gov­ern­ment.”

Both men are tech­nic­ally work­ing for con­tract­ors as they help re­build the site. Tech­nic­al prob­lems have plagued Health­Care.gov since its launch, lock­ing people out of the site and send­ing un­re­li­able in­form­a­tion to in­sur­ance com­pan­ies.

CMS says it still ex­pects to have the site fully func­tion­al by the end of Novem­ber.

“it is no secret that we are on an ag­gress­ive timeline,” CMS com­mu­nic­a­tions dir­ect­or Ju­lie Ba­taille told re­port­ers on Thursday.

Health­Care.gov’s latest prob­lems arose from out­ages at the com­pany whose serv­ers sup­port the site. Those out­ages kept the site off­line while Health and Hu­man Ser­vices Sec­ret­ary Kath­leen Se­beli­us was testi­fy­ing about the site on Wed­nes­day. Over­all, in­clud­ing the ini­tial dis­rup­tions over the past week­end, the site was off­line for more than 36 hours, Ba­taille said.

CMS is in­ten­tion­ally tak­ing the site off­line at times of low us­age — between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. ““ to im­ple­ment the changes that will help it func­tion, Ba­taille said.

Most health policy ex­perts say that if the site is in­deed ready by the end of Novem­ber ““ and CMS ex­pects it to im­prove gradu­ally un­til then ““ the ini­tial rol­lout prob­ably won’t have an es­pe­cially dam­aging ef­fect on over­all en­roll­ment.

Ba­taille said the in­sur­ance mar­ket­place for in­di­vidu­als and fam­il­ies is CMS’ top pri­or­ity, but that the agency also ex­pects to have the sep­ar­ate mar­ket­place for small busi­nesses up and run­ning by late Novem­ber.

What We're Following See More »
NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
COMMISSIONERS NEED TO DELIBERATE MORE
FCC Pushes Vote on Set-Top Boxes
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Federal regulators on Thursday delayed a vote on a proposal to reshape the television market by freeing consumers from cable box rentals, putting into doubt a plan that has pitted technology companies against cable television providers. ... The proposal will still be considered for a future vote. But Tom Wheeler, chairman of the F.C.C., said commissioners needed more discussions."

Source:
UNTIL DEC. 9, ANYWAY
Obama Signs Bill to Fund Government
7 hours ago
THE LATEST
REDSKINS IMPLICATIONS
SCOTUS to Hear Case on Offensive Trademarks
8 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

"The Supreme Court is taking up a First Amendment clash over the government’s refusal to register offensive trademarks, a case that could affect the Washington Redskins in their legal fight over the team name. The justices agreed Thursday to hear a dispute involving an Asian-American rock band called the Slants, but they did not act on a separate request to hear the higher-profile Redskins case at the same time." Still, any precedent set by the case could have ramifications for the Washington football team.

Source:
STAFF PICKS
Bannon Still Collecting Royalties from ‘Seinfeld’
9 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

The Hollywood Reporter takes a look at a little-known intersection of politics and entertainment, in which Trump campaign CEO Steve Bannon is still raking in residuals from Seinfeld. Here's the digest version: When Seinfeld was in its infancy, Ted Turner was in the process of acquiring its production company, Castle Rock, but he was under-capitalized. Bannon's fledgling media company put up the remaining funds, and he agreed to "participation rights" instead of a fee. "Seinfeld has reaped more than $3 billion in its post-network afterlife through syndication deals." Meanwhile, Bannon is "still cashing checks from Seinfeld, and observers say he has made nearly 25 times more off the Castle Rock deal than he had anticipated."

Source:
×