A policy that has long drawn the ire of sports fans around the country took a hit from the blind side last week, as the Federal Communications Commission recommended ending its decades-old rule blacking out broadcasts of certain athletic contests.
But the narrow recommendation, if adopted, would do little to end most blackouts in practice, which are generally privately negotiated and result from contracts brokered between sports leagues and television networks that trigger a blackout in a local market when a sports team fails to sell out a game. The rule applies to several major American sports, most notably football.
Acting Chairwoman Mignon Clyburn, in one of her last moves as FCC chief, issued a policy proposal Friday seeking to eliminate the commission’s 40-year-old rules governing sports blackouts.
“Changes in the marketplace have raised questions about whether these rules are still in the public interest, particularly at a time when high ticket prices and the economy make it difficult for many sports fans to attend games,” Clyburn said.
“Elimination of our sports-blackout rules will not prevent the sports leagues, broadcasters, and cable and satellite providers from privately negotiating agreements to black out certain sports events,” she said. “Nevertheless, if the record in this proceeding shows that the rules are no longer justified, the commission’s involvement in this area should end.”
Consumer-advocate groups and sports fans alike championed the recommendation, quelling a loud chorus of agitated blackout opposition almost as old as the rule itself. Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., earlier this year introduced the Television Consumer Freedom Act, which, among other broadcast reforms, would have required any sports venue paid for in part with taxpayer money to repeal its blackout restrictions.
But while the proposal is receiving a warm reception, it will do little to end most blackouts.
The FCC, which says it is “rarely involved in the sports blackouts you may have experienced,” has applied its narrow rule since 1975 to block cable and satellite networks from airing games in markets where local broadcast stations have already blacked out a game. Those local broadcast blackouts will still exist, though customers could potentially now turn to cable and satellite offerings.
Local stations, however, contend that removing the FCC rule will undermine their contracts with the leagues and price many fans out of the chance to watch their favorite teams on TV. The proposal “may hasten the migration of sports to pay-TV platforms, and will disadvantage the growing number of people who rely on free, over-the-air television as their primary source for sports,” the National Association of Broadcasters said in a statement.
Advocacy groups, though, say that the trend toward paid viewing is already happening, with or without the FCC rule.
“We’ve seen more and more the NFL and other sports leagues moving to cable networks where you have to pay to watch them. There’s already competition going on here for those contracts,” said Chris Lewis, vice president of government affairs at Public Knowledge. “There’s no reason for the FCC to reinforce the blackout agreements.”
The NFL declined to comment directly on the policy proposal.
“We will review the proposal, but it is worth noting that there have been no local TV blackouts of home games through the first 133 games of the 2013 season,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said. Fifteen NFL games were blacked out in 2012.
Tom Wheeler was sworn in Monday as the new FCC chairman and promised to “hit the ground running,” while announcing a dozen senior staff appointments.
- 1 Trump Couldn’t Possibly Win—Except That He Probably Will
- 2 More Zika Money Is Coming, But Timing Remains Unclear
- 3 Clinton Goes After Walker, Rubio, Paul on Equal Pay
- 4 Why Did Lee Harvey Oswald Defect to the USSR Before He Killed the President?
- 5 Verizon’s AOL Deal Could Lead to New Privacy Problems
What We're Following See More »
Foreign Policy takes a look at the future of mining the estimated "100,000 near-Earth objects—including asteroids and comets—in the neighborhood of our planet. Some of these NEOs, as they’re called, are small. Others are substantial and potentially packed full of water and various important minerals, such as nickel, cobalt, and iron. One day, advocates believe, those objects will be tapped by variations on the equipment used in the coal mines of Kentucky or in the diamond mines of Africa. And for immense gain: According to industry experts, the contents of a single asteroid could be worth trillions of dollars." But the technology to get us there is only the first step. Experts say "a multinational body might emerge" to manage rights to NEOs, as well as a body of law, including an international court.
Not to be outdone by Jeffrey Goldberg's recent piece in The Atlantic about President Obama's foreign policy, the New York Times Magazine checks in with a longread on the president's economic legacy. In it, Obama is cognizant that the economic reality--73 straight months of growth--isn't matched by public perceptions. Some of that, he says, is due to a constant drumbeat from the right that "that denies any progress." But he also accepts some blame himself. “I mean, the truth of the matter is that if we had been able to more effectively communicate all the steps we had taken to the swing voter,” he said, “then we might have maintained a majority in the House or the Senate.”
Ronald Reagan's children and political allies took to the media and Twitter this week to chide funnyman Will Ferrell for his plans to play a dementia-addled Reagan in his second term in a new comedy entitled Reagan. In an open letter, Reagan's daughter Patti Davis tells Ferrell, who's also a producer on the movie, “Perhaps for your comedy you would like to visit some dementia facilities. I have—I didn’t find anything comedic there, and my hope would be that if you’re a decent human being, you wouldn’t either.” Michael Reagan, the president's son, tweeted, "What an Outrag....Alzheimers is not joke...It kills..You should be ashamed all of you." And former Rep. Joe Walsh called it an example of "Hollywood taking a shot at conservatives again."
In a sign that she’s ready to put a longer-than-expected primary battle behind her, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D) is no longer going on the air in upcoming primary states. “Team Clinton hasn’t spent a single cent in … California, Indiana, Kentucky, Oregon and West Virginia, while” Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-VT) “campaign has spent a little more than $1 million in those same states.” Meanwhile, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Sanders’ "lone backer in the Senate, said the candidate should end his presidential campaign if he’s losing to Hillary Clinton after the primary season concludes in June, breaking sharply with the candidate who is vowing to take his insurgent bid to the party convention in Philadelphia.”
The team behind the bestselling "Clinton Cash"—author Peter Schweizer and Breitbart's Stephen Bannon—is turning the book into a movie that will have its U.S. premiere just before the Democratic National Convention this summer. The film will get its global debut "next month in Cannes, France, during the Cannes Film Festival. (The movie is not a part of the festival, but will be shown at a screening arranged for distributors)." Bloomberg has a trailer up, pointing out that it's "less Ken Burns than Jerry Bruckheimer, featuring blood-drenched money, radical madrassas, and ominous footage of the Clintons."