Multilateral Initiative Frees Hungary of Bomb-Grade Uranium

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
Nov. 5, 2013, 10:02 a.m.

The last of Hun­gary’s highly en­riched urani­um has left the coun­try by air­craft, end­ing a years-long mul­ti­lat­er­al ef­fort to free the na­tion of the bomb-us­able nuc­le­ar sub­stance, the U.S. En­ergy De­part­ment said on Monday.

Three flights con­duc­ted since Septem­ber trans­por­ted the re­main­ing 108.5 pounds of ma­ter­i­al to Rus­sia, where it is slated for con­ver­sion in­to nuc­le­ar-power-plant fuel un­suited for use in weapons. The quant­ity of urani­um re­moved from Hun­gary in re­cent weeks is suf­fi­cient to fuel nine nuc­le­ar bombs, the de­part­ment said in a press re­lease.

The urani­um-re­mov­al pro­ject — con­duc­ted jointly by Hun­gary, Rus­sia, the United States and the In­ter­na­tion­al Atom­ic En­ergy Agency — pre­vi­ously pulled 418.9 pounds of highly en­riched urani­um from Hun­gary in three trans­fers com­pleted in 2008, 2009 and 2012.

Pres­id­ent Obama in April 2009 set a four-year dead­line for lock­ing down all vul­ner­able atom­ic sub­stances, but that ef­fort re­mains in­com­plete.

“The re­mov­al of Hun­gary’s re­main­ing HEU in­vent­ory shows the over­whelm­ing re­sponse of the in­ter­na­tion­al com­munity to Pres­id­ent Obama’s call to se­cure all vul­ner­able nuc­le­ar ma­ter­i­als,” U.S. En­ergy Sec­ret­ary of Ern­est Mon­iz stated in re­leased com­ments.

“We know that in the wrong hands, just small amounts of these ma­ter­i­als could be used to cre­ate a weapon of mass de­struc­tion,” Mon­iz ad­ded. “This op­er­a­tion in Hun­gary and our on­go­ing part­ner­ships with coun­tries around the world help to en­sure that ter­ror­ists nev­er ob­tain a nuc­le­ar weapon.”

What We're Following See More »
ASSAILS FORMER PRESIDENT, STAFF
Trump: Obama Likely Behind Leaks
28 minutes ago
THE LATEST
PARTY UNITY
Perez to Be Ellison’s Guest at Trump’s Speech
1 hours ago
THE LATEST

Only three days removed from their race for the Democratic National Committee chairmanship, Rep. Keith Ellison and former Labor Secretary Tom Perez are burying the hatchet at President Trump's address to Congress. Late Monday afternoon, Ellison announced that Perez, who defeated him for the DNC job, will be his guest at the speech. "I look forward to joining Keith in the days and months ahead to show the American people that we stand with them against Donald Trump and his billionaire boys club that couldn't care less about the plight of working people," said Perez.

WOULD HAVE BROUGHT MORE WATERWAYS UNDER FEDERAL CONTROL
Trump to Sign Order Undoing Obama Water Rule
1 hours ago
THE DETAILS
RSC OPPOSITION
House Conservatives Balk on Obamacare Replacement
7 hours ago
THE LATEST

"The chairman of the influential Republican Study Committee said Monday he would vote against a draft ObamaCare replacement bill that leaked last week. Rep. Mark Walker (R-NC), head of the 172-member committee, said Monday his opposition stems from the draft bill's use of refundable tax credits." He said the current plan simply "kicks the can down the road" rather than attempt any real reform.

Source:
ENLISTS THEIR HELP IN REPEAL/REPLACE
Trump Meets with Health Execs
7 hours ago
THE LATEST
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login