There might be a historic nuclear deal on the table between the five major world powers and Iran if it wasn’t for that meddling France. Word coming out of negotiations in Geneva this weekend points to France as the lone holdout for stricter sanctions than those agreed to by other countries.
There was plenty of optimism heading into Saturday negotiations. But after marathon negotiations, France raised issues with the agreement on the table. The five of U.N. Security Council’s permanent countries — China, Britain, France, Russia and the U.S. — are bargaining for a short-term agreement with Iran to restrain the country’s controversial nuclear program and make it more transparent. In exchange, the five countries have agreed to limited scale backs of international sanctions. France decided Saturday a deal must include calls for Iran to shutdown its Arak nuclear reactor that “could produce enough plutonium for several nuclear weapons a year once it goes online,” according to NBC News. There is so far no proof Iran has any intention to build nuclear weapons. “As I speak to you, I cannot say there is any certainty that we can conclude,” French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius told France Inter radio. He said his country couldn’t accept a “sucker’s deal”.
But other diplomats are very clearly not pleased with their French counterpart. More than a few were perfectly fine with throwing France under the bus to the press. Per Reuters:
“The Americans, the EU and the Iranians have been working intensively together for months on this proposal, and this is nothing more than an attempt by Fabius to insert himself into relevance late in the negotiations,” the diplomat told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Israel will probably be pleased with France’s behavior. Negotiations continued late Saturday but a deal seemed further away than most expected Saturday morning. All hope is not lost. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told reporters negotiations “will continue in one week or 10 days,” if a deal isn’t reached this weekend.
Reprinted with permission from the Atlantic Wire. The original story — which ran on Saturday, Nov. 9 — can be found here.
What We're Following See More »
Perhaps Donald Trump can take a plebiscite to solve this whole messy immigration thing. At a Fox News town hall with Sean Hannity last night, Trump essentially admitted he's "stumped," turning to the audience and asking: “Can we go through a process or do you think they have to get out? Tell me, I mean, I don’t know, you tell me.”
Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.
Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.
Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”