Few Signs of Increased Iranian Cyberattacks After Nuke-Deal Pullout

Europe’s continued adherence to the deal may be causing Iran to hold off on new attacks. But U.S. targets aren’t out of the woods just yet.

In this Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017 file photo, Stuart Davis, a director at one of FireEye's subsidiaries, speaks to journalists about the techniques of Iranian hacking, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
AP Photo/Kamran Jebreili
June 5, 2018, 8 p.m.

President Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal last month was met with a flurry of speculation that Tehran would use the reversal as a pretext to launch a new round of cyberattacks aimed at crippling portions of America’s critical infrastructure.

But experts from four top cybersecurity firms say that in the weeks that followed Trump quitting the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, there’s been no perceptible uptick in activity by Iranian-backed hackers against U.S. or other Western targets.

“We have not seen any ramp-up or acceleration, or changes in [tactics, techniques, and procedures] with those groups,” said Levi Gundert, the head of threat intelligence at cybersecurity company Recorded Future.

Officials from FireEye, McAfee, and Dell’s SecureWorks also told National Journal they’ve yet to detect an increase in Iranian activity—including any preparatory forays against the U.S. electric grid, the transportation or finance industries, or other critical infrastructure. Those types of probing attacks were common before President Obama agreed to the nuclear deal in 2015, but fell off dramatically over the following three years.

“We continue to see the stuff that’s been going on in the [Persian] Gulf, which is still focused on a lot of their critical infrastructure,” said John Hultquist, the director of intelligence analysis at FireEye. “It could be a preparation for disruption, things of that nature. But we haven’t seen it spread into the West yet.”

That’s not to say that Iran is throwing in the towel. Experts continue to anticipate an eventual retaliatory cyberstrike over the White House’s withdrawal from the nuclear deal. But it may mean Iranian leadership is hedging its bets in the hope that European countries still sticking to the JCPOA can be kept in their corner.

“Immediately launching into a series of aggressive actions is probably not a way to demonstrate that you’re a responsible player that somebody wants to make a deal with,” said Michael Daniel, a former special assistant to the president and cybersecurity coordinator under Obama. “Those in the Iranian government that would be sensitive to those kinds of arguments are going to be, I think, arguing for showing some restraint until it becomes apparent that no further diplomatic work with the Europeans would pay off.”

Allison Wikoff, a senior researcher at SecureWorks’ counterthreat unit, said the continued adherence to the deal by America’s European allies “is likely an immediate deterrent.”

“A potential trigger for cyber retaliation could be the reintroduction of more stringent economic sanctions from the U.S., which can be put in place later this summer (August at the earliest),” Wikoff wrote in an email. “These sanctions could limit European Union JCPOA signatories’ business with Iran, to which Iran may respond to the economic hardship with cyberattacks.”

It wasn’t too long ago that Iran was considered a cyber-warfare backwater. But after Iranian-sponsored hackers deleted tens of thousands of critical files at Saudi Aramco in 2012, the country took a seat next to Russia and North Korea as one of the United States’s top adversaries in cyberspace. Follow-on attacks against the U.S. financial system and a Las Vegas casino owned by pro-Israel business magnate Sheldon Adelson further cemented the Islamic Republic’s status as a top-tier cybersecurity threat.

Experts across several cybersecurity firms say Iranian activity that directly targets U.S. interests declined precipitously after the JCPOA was signed in 2015. But now that a new White House has chosen to rip up that deal, there was an expectation that Iran would return to its old ways.

It’s an expectation apparently shared by the U.S. government. According to a report from The Washington Free Beacon, on May 22 the FBI sent a warning to U.S. businesses that Iranian-sponsored hackers could target their firms “in response to the U.S. government’s withdrawal from the [JCPOA].” An FBI spokeswoman could not comment on specific cyber alerts issued by the agency, but did not dispute the authenticity of the report.

It’s not clear why cybersecurity professionals have failed to detect an increase in activity around U.S. targets. Iran has responded rapidly to the JCPOA withdrawal in other theaters, reportedly backing a massive Taliban assault against targets in western Afghanistan in response to the decision.

Raj Samani, the chief scientist at McAfee, noted that private security firms won’t always be able to directly attribute attacks undertaken by well-trained and persistent hackers backed by a nation-state.

“Governments are in a more effective position to make such attribution claims, given their ability to combine technical evidence with evidence from traditional intelligence sources available only to state intelligence services and law enforcement,” Samani said.

There’s also a sense that Iranian leadership simply hasn’t had enough time to retool its cyber operations and pick a particularly juicy U.S. target. “I don’t expect the ship to turn overnight,” said Hultquist, adding that it could be several months before Iran feels ready to resume operations at a scale detectable by cybersecurity firms.

Gundert noted that it took around four months for Iranian hackers to begin targeting American banks after President Obama applied tougher sanctions on the country in 2012. “That seems to be a relatively consistent time frame,” he said, “[and] in terms of a response, I view that as a quick response.”

But Gundert is also open to the possibility that Iranian leadership is holding off in a bid to strengthen the European push to keep remnants of the deal intact and ward off crippling U.S. sanctions later this summer. It could be any sanctions resulting from the JCPOA pullout—and not the withdrawal from the deal itself—that triggers an aggressive Iranian response in cyberspace.

Should that happen, experts worry the country will deploy the recent experience gleaned from infrastructure attacks against Saudi Arabian and other Middle Eastern targets to great effect in the United States.

“If things continue to deteriorate, then a very logical, straightforward response from the Iranians would be to use their cyber-capability,” Daniel said. “It’s something they’ve invested heavily in developing, they’ve got some very experienced operators—because they’ve been operating against the Saudis, the Israelis, and others in the Middle East—and it’s a tool that’s very asymmetric and favors smaller actors like the Iranians.

“If there’s no sort of strategic advantage to holding off, then they’re going to do that,” he said.

What We're Following See More »
LOWER COURT HAD INVALIDATED LIFE SENTENCE
SCOTUS Will Hear DC Sniper Case
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The Supreme Court on Monday agreed to consider Virginia’s plea to reinstate the life-without-parole sentence of a man who as a teenager participated in sniper shootings that terrorized the Washington, D.C., region in 2002. The justices said they will take up the state’s appeal in the case of Lee Boyd Malvo, who was 17 when he and John Allen Muhammad fatally shot 10 people in Maryland, Virginia and Washington. Malvo was sentenced to life-without-parole terms in Virginia and in Maryland, and Muhammad was sentenced to death and was executed in 2009. Malvo was sentenced to four life terms for crimes he committed in Virginia. But the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit ruled last year that while Malvo’s life-without-parole sentences were legal when they were imposed."

Source:
PROSECUTORS, DOT ARE INVOLVED
U.S. Grand Jury Seeks info on How 737 MAX Is Made
5 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Federal prosecutors and Department of Transportation officials are scrutinizing the development of Boeing Co.’s 737 MAX jetliners, according to people familiar with the matter, unusual inquiries that come amid probes of regulators’ safety approvals of the new plane. A grand jury in Washington, D.C., issued a broad subpoena dated March 11 to at least one person involved in the 737 MAX’s development, seeking related documents, including correspondence, emails and other messages."

Source:
HAS NOT ATTENDED HIGH-LEVEL MEETINGS OF LATE
MBS Stripped of Some Powers
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The heir to the Saudi throne has not attended a series of high-profile ministerial and diplomatic meetings in Saudi Arabia over the last fortnight and is alleged to have been stripped of some of his financial and economic authority, the Guardian has been told. The move to restrict, if only temporarily, the responsibilities of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is understood to have been revealed to a group of senior ministers earlier last week by his father, King Salman."

Source:
TURKISH MAN BEING SOUGHT
Mass Shooting in Dutch City of Utrecht
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS
AUTHORIZED TO UNLOCK PHONES
Feds Raided Broidy's Offices Last Year
5 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Federal authorities raided the office of Republican fundraiser Elliott Broidy last summer, seeking records related to his dealings with foreign officials and Trump administration associates, according to a sealed search warrant obtained by ProPublica. Agents were authorized to use the megadonor’s hands and face to unlock any phones that required fingerprint or facial scans."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login