Connecticut gubernatorial hopeful Tom Foley is already airing campaign ads on TV — but not in his home state.
The 2010 Republican nominee, who is exploring another bid for the state’s top office, launched the first TV spot of the 2014 Nutmeg State race on Monday. The ad, which is running only on cable in New York City, invites city residents wary of Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio’s progressive policies to consider moving to Connecticut next year when the state “will probably elect a new governor.”
The spot opens with an image of a recent New York Post cover that put de Blasio’s face next to a Soviet hammer and sickle. “Hey, New York City,” Foley says while talking directly to the camera. “With your new mayor, I know many of you are thinking about leaving. Connecticut, with the same progressive policies you’re about to see in your city, may not be first on your mind. But wait a second. Connecticut next year will probably elect a new governor. When it does, Connecticut once again will be the place that people want to be in the Northeast.”
The “small” ad buy was scheduled to begin Monday on Fox News Channel and NY1 in New York City, according to the Hartford Courant. The unusual tactic of running the ad out of state speaks to what is probably Foley’s true aim: Generating a lot of attention and raising money as a result.
So far, it has worked, at least in the attention department: Foley’s ad generated coverage late Monday in outlets throughout Connecticut and New York. Asked Tuesday if he was concerned the strategy might backfire, Foley laughed and simply said, “No.”
Foley lost to Democratic Gov. Dannel Malloy by just 1 percentage point in 2010, and Republicans are hopeful that Malloy’s mediocre polling numbers give them a solid chance to knock him off next year. But Foley faces a crowded GOP primary field, with state Senate Minority Leader John McKinney, state Sen. Toni Boucher, and Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton, who was Foley’s running mate in 2010, all readying campaigns of their own.
- 1 Clinton Wins Debate, But Did She Win Over Voters?
- 2 You’re More Likely to Die From a Bee Sting Than a Shark Attack
- 3 Senate Progressives Look to Flex Muscles in 2017
- 4 The District Where Democrats Want a Gun-Control Debate
- 5 Smart Ideas: The Most Important Election of a 96-Year-Old’s Lifetime; Clinton’s Pitch to Millennials
What We're Following See More »
At the end of the debate, moderator Lester Holt asked Donald Trump if he stands by his statement that Hillary Clinton didn't have the look of a president. Trump responded by saying Holt misquoted him, instead saying that Clinton "doesn't have the stamina." Clinton responded by saying that when Trump visits 112 countries as secretary of state, he can talk to her about stamina.
Donald Trump, when pressed by Lester Holt on why he finally admitted that President Obama was born in America, repeated his widely debunked claim that it was started by Hillary Clinton.
Hillary Clinton went point by point on how race can so often determine the treatment that people receive, mentioning recent shootings in Tulsa and Charlotte, calling for restored trust between communities and police, and demanding criminal justice reform. Trump responded by calling for law and order and touting his endorsements from police unions. He then said that “African Americans are living in hell,” saying they are just walking down the street and getting “shot ... being decimated by crime."
Just as Hillary Clinton was inviting debate viewers to visit her site for real-time fact checking, there appeared to be a problem with Donald Trump's own campaign website. For about a 15-minute period, a blank page or an error message appeared when we tried to load the Trump site.
Donald Trump has come out in the first segment of this debate raring to go. Trump has interrupted nearly every answer being given by Hillary Clinton, talking over her time and again. Clinton is sticking to her guns, smiling while Trump speaks and then calling on people to go to her website and see the fact checking being done.