Bill Clinton: If You Like Your Plan, You Should Be Allowed to Keep It

The former president, a vocal Obamacare supporter, favors changing the health care law to allow insured Americans to keep their plans under the Affordable Care Act.

Former President Bill Clinton and President Obama.
National Journal
Marina Koren
Add to Briefcase
Marina Koren
Nov. 12, 2013, 7:14 a.m.

Last week, Pres­id­ent Obama apo­lo­gized to Amer­ic­ans who were re­ceiv­ing can­cel­la­tion no­tices from their health care pro­viders. Their plans, it seems, were no longer in com­pli­ance with the Af­ford­able Care Act, des­pite his go-to mes­sage of  “If you like your plan, you can keep it” for the already in­sured.

“I re­gret very much that what we in­ten­ded to do, which is to make sure that every­body is mov­ing in­to bet­ter plans be­cause they want them “¦ that we wer­en’t as clear as we needed to be,” he told NBC News, prom­ising a fix to the situ­ation.

But former Pres­id­ent Clin­ton, a long­time sup­port­er of the health law, said Tues­day that the solu­tion is for Obama to make good on his prom­ise, even if it means al­ter­ing the health care law.

“I per­son­ally be­lieve even if it takes a change to the law, the pres­id­ent should hon­or the com­mit­ment the fed­er­al gov­ern­ment made to those people and let them keep what they got,” Clin­ton said in an in­ter­view with OZY.com, a di­git­al magazine.

“We’re bet­ter off with this law than without it,” Clin­ton said, be­fore list­ing the prob­lems the ad­min­is­tra­tion still has to fix, in­clud­ing the still-faulty health care web­site. False as­sur­ances from Obama is one of these prob­lems, he said. “Young people mostly, but not all young, who are in the in­di­vidu­al mar­ket who are above 400 per­cent of the poverty level, they were the ones who heard this prom­ise.” The White House has said that much of the Af­ford­able Care Act’s suc­cess rests with get­ting young, health people to sign up for cov­er­age.

White House press sec­ret­ary Jay Car­ney ad­dressed Clin­ton’s re­marks Tues­day af­ter­noon. He said “the pres­id­ent has asked his team to look at ways to ad­dress” the is­sue of plan can­cel­la­tions.

The full in­ter­view is be­low:

What We're Following See More »
DECLINES TO HEAR APPEAL
SCOTUS Leaves Political Ad Disclosure Law In Place
1 hours ago
BREAKING

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear an appeal to the "federal disclosure rules for political advertising," leaving in place the ruling by a lower court upholding a law requiring the disclosure of donors to political ads. The appeal came from "a Denver-based libertarian think tank that wanted to run an ad without being forced to divulge its major donors," which argued that the requirement was a violation of first amendment rights under the Court's Citizens United decision.

Source:
ENLISTS THEIR HELP IN REPEAL/REPLACE
Trump Meets with Health Execs
1 hours ago
THE LATEST
WOULD CUT NON-DEFENSE BY SAME AMOUNT
Trump Budget Would Bump Defense Spending by $54 Billion
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The Trump administration is proposing a budget it says will increase defense spending by $54 billion and cut non-defense spending by the same amount. The White House is sending a topline budget proposal reflecting those figures to federal agencies on Monday afternoon, according to an Office of Management and Budget official." An unnamed OMB official said most federal agencies would face cutbacks.

Source:
WILL THE DINNER HAPPEN?
Trump To Skip Correspondents Dinner
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Saturday that he would not attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in April. The move did not come as a surprise, another moment in his ongoing battle with the media, which he has dubbed the "enemy" of the American people and repeatedly refers to as "fake news." Multiple outlets have already cancelled their events surrounding the dinner and several are considering skipping the event outright.

FOLLOWS ARMY SECRETARY
Navy Secretary Nominee To Withdraw
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Phillip Bilden, Donald Trump's nominee for Navy secretary, has decided to withdraw his nomination after he was unable to sufficiently untangle his financial commitments. Bilden follows Vincent Viola, who withdrew his nomination for Army secretary.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login