WASHINGTON — The United States on Wednesday formally designated the Nigerian militant group Boko Haram as a terrorist organization. The new label is aimed at facilitating the international investigation and prosecution of those believed “responsible for thousands of deaths in northeast and central Nigeria over the last several years, including targeted killings of civilians,” according to a State Department release.
Boko Haram is believed to have links to al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb.
Washington also listed Ansaru, a Boko Haram offshoot, as a foreign terrorist organization. That organization is blamed for the kidnapping and execution earlier this year of seven multinational construction workers. The groups are additionally believed to have been behind the 2011 suicide bombing of a United Nations facility in Abuja, which left 21 dead and dozens more injured.
U.S. military officials have voiced concern on occasion that regional extremist groups such as Boko Haram might acquire chemical weapons that may be less than fully secured in North Africa or elsewhere.
“By cutting these terrorist organizations off from U.S. financial institutions and enabling banks to freeze assets held in the United States, these designations demonstrate our strong support for Nigeria’s fight against terrorism and its efforts to address security challenges in the north,” Lisa Monico, President Obama’s assistant for homeland security and counterterrorism, said in a written statement.
“We encourage Nigeria to pursue a comprehensive counterterrorism approach that uses law enforcement tools effectively, creates economic opportunity, and ensures that human rights are protected and respected,” she said. “The United States stands firmly with the people of Nigeria in their efforts to bring the terrorist violence perpetrated by these groups to an end.”
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."