The information-technology officials testifying at a House Oversight and Government Reform hearing Wednesday were reserved in their confidence that the Obamacare federal exchange website would in fact be repaired by the end of November.
“The goal that has been laid out is for the site not to be perfect, but for the vast majority to be able to use it,” White House Chief Technology Officer Todd Park said at the hearing. “It’s a goal we’re gunning for, and we’re working very hard get there.”
The administration had set the end of November as the goal to have HealthCare.gov running smoothly for the vast majority of users. Repairs are being made around the clock, but confidence may be dwindling for how fully functional the site will be.
An official told The Washington Post that persistent problems mean that the site is unlikely to be fully functional by Nov. 30, though the White House maintains the goal is still achievable.
Time is running short for both consumers and insurers to figure out their coverage options. The deadline to enroll for coverage that is effective Jan. 1 is Dec. 15.
Cancellation letters from insurance companies are adding extra strain to the situation. If individuals whose plans are canceled are not able to enroll in new coverage by mid-December, they will be uninsured until they are able to sign up.
Amid the growing pressure, even Democratic lawmakers are increasingly supporting legislation that would continue canceled policies at least another year.
At the House hearing, Reps. James Lankford, R-Okla., and Michelle Lujan Grisham, D-N.M., addressed the coverage gap that could occur if the website is not fixed soon.
“We’ve been fighting a long time in New Mexico to find ways to access affordable health care. I need, we need, our constituents need the website to work,” said Grisham, who noted that nearly 25 percent of people in her state are uninsured. “The end of November leaves very little room for error. I know it’s not easy, but I want to make sure for the record that there’s real urgency here.”
Asked whether he felt that same urgency, Park answered, “Absolutely.”
Yet when asked repeatedly by members of the committee whether he could be certain the site would be functioning by Nov. 30, Park avoided making any promises. “The team is working really hard to hit that goal, and that’s what I’m able to say right now,” he said.
“As a former Web developer that’s what I was telling clients when we were going to miss a deadline,” remarked Rep. Blake Farenthold, R-Texas.
What We're Following See More »
Donald Trump is set to issue a new and more focused executive order clarifying the scope of his travel ban, hoping that the order will survive legal challenges. The new order would focus on the same seven countries, "but would only bar entry to those without a visa and who have never entered the United States before. Unlike the original order, people from those countries who already have permanent U.S. residency (green cards) or visas would not face any restrictions." Some lawyers believe the government will now have much stronger standing, though lawyers who challenged the initial order see the same core problems with the forthcoming ban.
"President Donald Trump announced Monday that Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster will serve as his next national security adviser, filling the void left last week by the sudden dismissal of Michael Flynn. ... Retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, who had been serving as the acting national security adviser since Flynn's exit, will return to his role as chief of staff of the National Security Council." The pick was widely praised on both sides of the aisle.
"Ret. Vice Adm. Bob Harward turned down President Donald Trump's offer to be national security adviser Thursday, depriving the administration of a top candidate for a critical foreign policy post days after Trump fired Michael Flynn." Among the potential reasons: his family, his lack of assurances that he could build his own team, and that "the White House seems so chaotic."