Hagel ‘Felt Sorry’ for Kerry After Iran Negotiations Faltered

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, citing the recent Pay Our Military Act, will recall to work hundreds of thousands of furloughed civilian employees of the Department of Defense next week.
National Journal
Sara Sorcher
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Sara Sorcher
Nov. 14, 2013, 11:18 a.m.

De­fense Sec­ret­ary Chuck Hagel said he “felt sorry” for Sec­ret­ary of State John Kerry as mem­bers of Con­gress and pun­dits skewered the Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion for fail­ing to reach an agree­ment on Ir­an’s nuc­le­ar pro­gram in Geneva last week.

Speak­ing at the De­fense One sum­mit in Wash­ing­ton, Hagel de­fen­ded the on­go­ing dip­lo­mat­ic out­reach aimed at even­tu­ally curb­ing Ir­an’s nuc­le­ar pro­gram.

“If we can move to­ward some com­mon in­terest, move to some high­er ground, to some pos­sible po­ten­tial res­ol­u­tion to a prob­lem, aren’t we smarter to do that? En­gage­ment is not sur­render. It is not ap­pease­ment,” Hagel said.

“I felt sorry for Sec­ret­ary Kerry, be­cause people jumped in­to this, say­ing ‘Well, he didn’t get any­thing; he didn’t get a deal.’ Wait a minute. We’ve been at some kind of un­of­fi­cial war with Ir­an since 1979. Does any­body really think we’re all go­ing to get to­geth­er in some kind of P5+1 [ne­go­ti­ations] for a week and come out of that with some tiny little agree­ment?”

All the world powers at stake — and Ir­an, too — have polit­ic­al is­sues to con­tend with in the ne­go­ti­ations, Hagel con­tin­ued. “It’s go­ing to take time,” he said.

Mean­while, on Cap­it­ol Hill, mem­bers of Con­gress from both parties are talk­ing tough about keep­ing the ex­ist­ing raft of sanc­tions against Ir­an in place, and pos­sibly even levy­ing more meas­ures against the Is­lam­ic Re­pub­lic des­pite the ad­min­is­tra­tion’s pleas for them to hold off.

Hagel cau­tioned against abandon­ing dip­lomacy and risk­ing an­oth­er war, es­pe­cially as the U.S. draws down its forces after more than a dec­ade of con­flict in Ir­aq and Afgh­anistan.

Still, Hagel stressed the need for keep­ing the U.S. mil­it­ary at the ready for any pos­sib­il­ity. The threat of mil­it­ary force re­cently proved ef­fect­ive in con­vin­cing Pres­id­ent Bashar al-As­sad to agree to a deal to des­troy chem­ic­al weapons in his coun­try.

“I don’t think we would have had any kind of open­ing to get to where we are with chem­ic­al weapons in Syr­ia “¦ without the real, live threat of mil­it­ary force,” Hagel said. “Wheth­er it’s Ir­an or Syr­ia, it’s how do you smartly use your mil­it­ary to in­flu­ence out­comes.”

What We're Following See More »
$618 BILLION IN FUNDING
By a Big Margin, House Passes Defense Bill
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

The National Defense Authorization Act passed the House this morning by a 375-34 vote. The bill, which heads to the Senate next week for final consideration, would fund the military to the tune of $618.7 billion, "about $3.2 billion more than the president requested for fiscal 2017. ... The White House has issued a veto threat on both the House and Senate-passed versions of the bill, but has not yet said if it will sign the compromise bill released by the conference committee this week."

Source:
SUCCEEDS UPTON
Walden to Chair Energy and Commerce Committee
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"Republicans have elected Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR) the next chairman of the powerful House Energy and Commerce Committee. Walden defeated Reps. John Shimkus (R-IL) and Joe Barton (R-TX), the former committee chairman, in the race for the gavel" to succeed Michgan's Fred Upton.

Source:
BIPARTISAN SUPPORT
Senators Looking to Limit Deportations Under Trump
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"Democratic and Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee are working on legislation that would limit deportations" under President-elect Donald Trump. Leading the effort are Judiciary Committee members Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC). Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is also expected to sign on.

Source:
REQUIRES CHANGE IN LAW
Trump Taps Mattis for Defense Secretary
1 days ago
BREAKING

Donald Trump has selected retired Marine Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis as his secretary of defense, according to The Washington Post. Mattis retired from active duty just four years ago, so Congress will have "to pass new legislation to bypass a federal law that states secretaries of defense must not have been on active duty in the previous seven years." The official announcement is likely to come next week.

Source:
MEASURE HEADED TO OBAMA
Senate OKs 10-Year Extension of Iran Sanctions
1 days ago
THE LATEST
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login