NEW YORK | NY-gov

Wilson Won’t Seek GOP Nomination

Marc Molinaro will decide soon.

Zach C. Cohen
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Zach C. Cohen
Jan. 2, 2018, 10:42 a.m.

Harry Wilson (R), a 2010 comptroller nominee, announced Monday that he will not run for governor in 2018, citing a desire to spend more time with his family.

Wilson: “Of course, to be in a position to carry out this agenda, I would have to wage a winning campaign. I recognize that would be hard, both given the state’s voter registration rolls and the current political climate, but I have thought and continue to think there is a path to victory.” (Facebook)

“He made his final decision during ‘quiet family time over the Christmas holidays’ and took several extra days ‘to let it sink in,’ [a] source said. But he is not ruling out a future gubernatorial in four years.” (New York Daily News)

Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro (R) “said Wilson called him Sunday to tell him he would not run. Molinaro said he expected to make his own decision in the coming days.” (Rochester Democrat & Chronicle)

Erie County Republican Chairman Nicholas Langworthy “said it’s time for the party to hit a ‘hard re-set’ on the process to find someone to challenge” Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D). (New York Daily News)

THE BIG GUY. “Cuomo is expected to have roughly $30 million in his campaign account when he reports to the state Board of Elections later this month.” (Politico)

“The tiny Independence Party endorsed … Cuomo for re-election on [last month] — before even seeing what alternative the Republican Party is offering. Indy Party Chairman Frank MacKay cited Cuomo’s record of accomplishment on infrastructure, criminal justice reform and the tuition assistance for middle income students attending public colleges as reason to back him for a third term.” (New York Post)

“Cuomo is planning to unveil a ‘Democracy Agenda’ to safeguard the integrity of New York elections and require transparency for digital political ads as part of his 2018 State of the State address in January.” (New York Observer)

WORTH WATCHING. “Cuomo isn’t a defendant and he doesn’t expect to be a witness when the first public corruption trial involving a former member of his administration [Joseph Percoco] and some of his biggest contributors begins next month. But from the opening moments, potential jurors are likely to hear Cuomo’s name in a trial that could have political implications for the governor and his 2018 re-election plans.” (Buffalo News)

“Trade unions, which have closely aligned themselves with … Cuomo and other politicians, have secured deals requiring underground construction work to be staffed by as many as four times more laborers than elsewhere in the world.” (New York Times) “Cuomo, during his annual State of the State address on Wednesday, is expected to endorse a congestion plan that would charge motorists to enter Manhattan’s central business district.” (Wall Street Journal)

What We're Following See More »
INTERROGATION GONE WRONG
Report: Saudis Planning to Admit to Khashoggi Killing
14 hours ago
THE LATEST
TURKEY STILL DECRIES LACK OF COOPERATION
Saudis Will Let Turkish Officials Search Embassy
19 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Saudi Arabia has given Turkey permission to search its Istanbul consulate Monday afternoon, a Turkish diplomatic source told CNN. Saudi officials first granted permission for the consulate to be searched last week, but later asked for a delay and no search has yet taken place. Turkish officials also want to search the nearby consul general's residence, and have repeatedly accused the Saudis of failing to cooperate with their investigation."

Source:
"OUR SAUDI ARABIAN CITIZEN"
Pompeo To Discuss Khashoggi With Saudi King
20 hours ago
THE LATEST
INTENDS TO CALL BY MONDAY
Trump Says He'll Call MBS to Ask About Khashoggi
1 days ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump said he plans to call Saudi Arabian King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud about the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Trump spoke on Saturday during an appearance in the Oval Office with Pastor Andrew Brunson, who was recently released by the Turkish government."

Source:
SAYS HE TREATED HER FAIRLY
Trump on Blasey Ford: "We Won"
1 days ago
THE LATEST

Asked by Lesley Stahl on 60 Minutes on Sunday night, President Trump said he thought he treated Dr. Christine Blasey Ford fairly, even as he was accused of poking fun of her at a rally. He then declined to address the issue further, saying "I'm not going to get into it, because we won. It doesn't matter. We won."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login