Pizza Chains Say Obamacare Could Deliver Price Increases

National Journal
Clara Ritger
Add to Briefcase
Clara Ritger
Nov. 20, 2013, 7:13 a.m.

While many busi­nesses have com­plaints about Obama­care, pizza chains say the law might de­liv­er their cus­tom­ers a price in­crease.

Last year, the CEO and founder of Papa John’s prom­ised a price hike if the pres­id­ent’s sig­na­ture health re­form ini­ti­at­ive was al­lowed to take ef­fect. Pizza prices would be 14 cents high­er to cov­er the cost of provid­ing em­ploy­ees health in­sur­ance, “Papa” John Schnat­ter said.

Now Dom­ino’s has joined the law’s crit­ics. Ex­ec­ut­ive Vice Pres­id­ent Lynn Liddle said the cal­or­ie-post­ing re­quire­ment will cost the Dom­ino’s mom-and-pop fran­chisees as much as $5,000.

“We’re a big-name brand, but these are all very small-busi­ness people,” Liddle said. “Half of our 1,000 fran­chisees in the United States only own one pizza store.”

The Food and Drug Ad­min­is­tra­tion re­leased its draft reg­u­la­tions for com­ply­ing with the Af­ford­able Care Act re­quire­ment to post cal­or­ies con­spicu­ously in food es­tab­lish­ments. The FDA’s draft reg­u­la­tions re­quire the cal­or­ie counts to ap­pear wherever there is a worded menu for cus­tom­ers. Dom­ino’s takes is­sue with the re­quire­ment to post them on in-store menu boards, ar­guing that their on­line Cal-O-Meter should be suf­fi­cient.

“It spits out the cal­or­ie counts for your spe­cif­ic choice of pizza,” Liddle said. “You can’t just slap those cal­or­ies on a menu board. Each pizza is so dif­fer­ent, there’d have to be a range.”

Be­cause most cus­tom­ers or­der pizza on­line or over the phone, Liddle said, the ex­pense of the in-store menu board doesn’t make sense. The com­pany found that on av­er­age, its New York City stores spent $5,000 to com­ply with the cal­or­ie-post­ing re­quire­ment passed by the loc­al gov­ern­ment. They have not, however, dis­cussed wheth­er meet­ing the re­quire­ment would mean a price in­crease.

Papa John’s and Dom­ino’s aren’t the only chains to level com­plaints at the ad­min­is­tra­tion. One-time Re­pub­lic­an pres­id­en­tial can­did­ate Her­main Cain, also the former CEO of God­fath­er’s Pizza, told Time last year that if Obama was reelec­ted, deep-dish would dis­ap­pear.

“With Obama in a second term,” Cain said, “there will be no pizza. For any­one.”

Luck­ily for pizza-lov­ers, the worst-case scen­ario isn’t a world without their hand-tossed staple, but rather, a more ex­pens­ive pie.

What We're Following See More »
DECLINES TO HEAR APPEAL
SCOTUS Leaves Political Ad Disclosure Law In Place
3 hours ago
BREAKING

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear an appeal to the "federal disclosure rules for political advertising," leaving in place the ruling by a lower court upholding a law requiring the disclosure of donors to political ads. The appeal came from "a Denver-based libertarian think tank that wanted to run an ad without being forced to divulge its major donors," which argued that the requirement was a violation of first amendment rights under the Court's Citizens United decision.

Source:
ENLISTS THEIR HELP IN REPEAL/REPLACE
Trump Meets with Health Execs
3 hours ago
THE LATEST
WOULD CUT NON-DEFENSE BY SAME AMOUNT
Trump Budget Would Bump Defense Spending by $54 Billion
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The Trump administration is proposing a budget it says will increase defense spending by $54 billion and cut non-defense spending by the same amount. The White House is sending a topline budget proposal reflecting those figures to federal agencies on Monday afternoon, according to an Office of Management and Budget official." An unnamed OMB official said most federal agencies would face cutbacks.

Source:
WILL THE DINNER HAPPEN?
Trump To Skip Correspondents Dinner
7 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Saturday that he would not attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in April. The move did not come as a surprise, another moment in his ongoing battle with the media, which he has dubbed the "enemy" of the American people and repeatedly refers to as "fake news." Multiple outlets have already cancelled their events surrounding the dinner and several are considering skipping the event outright.

FOLLOWS ARMY SECRETARY
Navy Secretary Nominee To Withdraw
7 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Phillip Bilden, Donald Trump's nominee for Navy secretary, has decided to withdraw his nomination after he was unable to sufficiently untangle his financial commitments. Bilden follows Vincent Viola, who withdrew his nomination for Army secretary.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login