Top Republicans Describe Their Ideal President: Me

Ask a Republican about the GOP’s perfect 2016 candidate, and they’ll read you their résumé.

TAMPA, FL - AUGUST 26: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker speaks at the podium ahead of the Republican National Convention at the Tampa Bay Times Forum on August 26, 2012 in Tampa, Florida. The RNC is scheduled to convene on August 27 and will hold its first full-day session on August 28 as Tropical Storm Isaac threatens disruptions due to its proximity to the Florida peninsula.
Julie Sobel
Add to Briefcase
Julie Sobel
Nov. 22, 2013, 10:34 a.m.

Wis­con­sin Re­pub­lic­an Gov. Scott Walk­er dis­missed talk of the 2016 White House race as he pro­moted his new book Fri­day—but de­scribed an ideal can­did­ate that looks just like him: “An ideal can­did­ate to me would be a cur­rent or former gov­ernor,” Walk­er said. “Just be­cause I think gov­ernors have ex­ec­ut­ive ex­per­i­ence and, more im­port­antly, I think there’s a real sense across Amer­ica that people want an out­sider.”

Walk­er is hardly the only one these days deny­ing a fo­cus on the White House race, while at the same time de­scrib­ing the per­fect can­did­ate as someone a lot like him­self. The hope­fuls may be play­ing coy about their own in­ten­tions at this early stage, but they’re cer­tainly will­ing to paint a pic­ture of what the GOP nom­in­ee should look like—and if it comes out as a self-por­trait, then so be it.

A run­down from the past week:

— Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, in an in­ter­view on Bloomberg Tele­vi­sion’s Polit­ic­al Cap­it­al With Al Hunt: “What I think the next pres­id­ent should be is someone who’s lead­ing the fight for free-mar­ket prin­ciples and the Con­sti­tu­tion, and someone who’s listen­ing to the Amer­ic­an people—not listen­ing to the es­tab­lished politi­cians.”

— Rep. Paul Ry­an, R-Wis., at The Wall Street Journ­al‘s CEO Coun­cil, after stat­ing that the nom­in­ee did not need to be a gov­ernor: “I would like to make sure we get a per­son who is a stand­ard-bear­er who can go the dis­tance,” Ry­an said. “I am fa­mil­i­ar with what go­ing the dis­tance means, and it means a lot. It is not easy to do.” He ad­ded that the nom­in­ee should “be strong on prin­ciples, in­clus­ive on ideas,” and show people “the full spec­trum of con­ser­vat­ism.”

— New Jer­sey Gov. Chris Christie, also at The Wall Street Journ­al‘s CEO Coun­cil, said the can­did­ate seek­ing a path to vic­tory in a na­tion­al race must avoid “fo­cus-group-tested” speeches. “You need someone who’s clear, dir­ect, and au­then­t­ic and says what they think,” he said.

— In­di­ana Gov. Mike Pence, at the Re­pub­lic­an Gov­ernors As­so­ci­ation meet­ings in Scott­s­dale, Ar­iz.: “When I look at 2016, and I don’t have a can­did­ate that I’m back­ing, I’m go­ing to be look­ing not for some­body that says I want to go to Wash­ing­ton, D.C., and run it like I ran where I came from. I want some­body that says I’m go­ing to go to Wash­ing­ton, D.C., and make it more pos­sible for the next per­son run­ning where I came from to do it with more free­dom and flex­ib­il­ity.”

— And fi­nally, give Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., some points for be­ing straight­for­ward: On Monday, he bluntly told Fox News that he thinks Amer­ic­ans want someone like him. “I think they want someone out­side of, you know, what’s been go­ing on. For ex­ample, someone like my­self who has been pro­mot­ing term lim­its,” he said. “Someone who says we shouldn’t have, you know, dec­ade after dec­ade longev­ity up here.

ISIS INVOLVED
Niger Attack Possible Terrorist Set-Up
10 hours ago
THE LATEST

"An emerging theory among U.S. military investigators is that the Army Special Forces soldiers ambushed in Niger were set up by terrorists, who were tipped off in advance about a meeting in a village sympathetic to local ISIS affiliates...The group of American Green Berets and support soldiers had requested a meeting with elders of a village that was seen as supportive of the Islamic State, and they attended the meeting at around 11 a.m. local time Oct. 4...Such meetings are a routine part of the Green Beret mission, but it wasn't clear whether this meeting was part of the unit's plan."

TRUMP’S COMMENTS AT ISSUE
Bergdahl’s Sentencing Delayed Until Wednesday
10 hours ago
THE LATEST

"The long-awaited sentencing of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was delayed Monday after a legal battle erupted over the word 'but' in President Donald Trump's most recent remarks about the case. Bergdahl's defense team argued that their client could not get a fair shake from the court because Trump, during a Rose Garden appearance on Oct. 16, at first said he couldn't talk about the case and then added: 'But I think people have heard my comments in the past.'" Trump has called him a traitor and suggested he should be executed.

PROBE CAME FROM INQUIRY INTO MANAFORT’S FINANCES
Mueller Investigating Tony Podesta and His Firm
19 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Tony Podesta and the Podesta Group are now the subjects of a federal investigation being led by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, three sources with knowledge of the matter told NBC News. The probe of Podesta and his Democratic-leaning lobbying firm grew out of Mueller's inquiry into the finances of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort."

SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY
House Intel Will Interview Trump Digital Director
21 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Donald Trump’s campaign digital director, Brad Parscale, will be interviewed Tuesday by the House Intelligence Committee, his first appearance before any of the panels examining the issue of Russian interference in the 2016 election. Mr. Parscale confirmed his scheduled appearance. The Senate committees also probing interference haven’t scheduled time with Mr. Parscale, he said, declining to comment further."

CONGRESS MAY HAVE DIFFERENT IDEAS
Trump Promises No Changes to 401(k) Plan
21 hours ago
THE LATEST

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.