VIRGINIA | VA-gov

Northam Outspent Gillespie Last Month

A new poll showed the Republican narrowing the gap between him and the Democrat.

Oct. 17, 2017, 10:43 a.m.

Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam (D) outraised and outspent former RNC Chair Ed Gillespie (R) last month, according to new reports covering Sept. 1-30 released last night.

Northam raised $7.2 million in cash and in-kind contributions, spent $7.1 million, and reported $5.7 million on hand.

$1 million of Northam’s haul came from DGA Action. Northam’s in-kind donations included six figures each from Tom Steyer’s Nextgen Climate Action Committee, Virginia League of Conservation Voters, and the Planned Parenthood Virginia PAC. (Virginia Public Access Project)

Gillespie raised $4.4 million in cash and in-kind contributions, spent $4.5 million, and reported $2.5 million on hand.

Gillespie’s biggest contributions include $2 million from the RGA, $1 million of which was previously disclosed, and $50,000 from former President George W. Bush. The state Republican Party also spent six figures on his behalf. (Virginia Public Access Project)

POLL-TESTED. Northam led Gillespie 48-44 percent, according to a new Christopher Newport University Wason Center poll (Oct. 9-13; 642 LVs; +/-4.2%). Cliff Hyra (L) took 3 percent.

“This is the first poll in the Wason Center’s tracking series in which Northam’s lead is within the survey’s margin of error.” (release)

HELPING. NextGen Virginia announced Tuesday that it registered nearly 20,000 voters since August. (release)

NOT HELPING. Prince William County Supervisors Chair Corey Stewart (R) said Tuesday that he and Gillespie “haven’t been able to sit down yet” about a possible formal endorsement.

Stewart: “I can tell you that there’s a couple things in the works, not necessarily for Ed in particular but for the ticket. But at the end of the day, what we need from the Gillespie campaign is we need an indication of what they need from us. What I don’t want to do is go out there and, you know, do some things or say some things that the campaign is going to have to renounce or that they find counterproductive to the campaign.” (John Fredericks Show)

#ANALYSIS. “In both the 2013 gubernatorial race featuring Ken Cuccinelli and the 2014 Senate race featuring Gillespie, the Republican candidate dramatically overperformed compared to the final polls. The final RealClearPolitics average in 2013 had Cuccinelli trailing by 6.7 points; he lost by 2.5 points. The 2014 result was even more dramatic; the final RCP average put Democrat Mark Warner ahead by 9.7 points; he won by eight-tenths of a percentage point. … [I]t suggests that a small Democratic lead heading into Election Day might not be so reliable.” (National Review)

“Virginia’s gubernatorial candidates are bringing in the big guns to help them close the deal with voters. Barack Obama is coming to support Ralph Northam. Mike Pence visited on behalf of Ed Gillespie. All this political star power is intended to get the respective bases fired up and ready to head to the polls next month. The hard truth: They usually don’t work. … By the time a current or former president arrives, the campaign narratives and issues are largely set. It takes a special blend of circumstances, personalities and issues to make such a visit useful.” (Washington Post)

INTERNATIONAL VOLLEYS. “Spanish photojournalist Pau Coll Sanchez launched a social media campaign on Monday … demanding that Gillespie to stop using his work without permission and to pay him what he’s owed.” (ThinkProgress)

What We're Following See More »
AMONG INVESTIGATION'S LAST KNOWN INTERVIEWS
Mueller Has Interviewed Press Sec. Sarah Sanders
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Special counsel Robert Mueller's team has interviewed White House press secretary Sarah Sanders, she told CNN on Friday...The interview is one of the final known interviews by Mueller's team. It was conducted late last year, around the same time as the special counsel interviewed then-White House chief of staff John Kelly, well after a number of other senior officials, including former White House communications director Hope Hicks and former press secretary Sean Spicer, were brought in for questioning."

Source:
AG BECERRA CALLS TRUMP'S PLAN A 'FOOLISH PROPOSAL'
Gov. Newsom Says California Will Sue Trump Over Emergency Declaration
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Gov. Gavin Newsom said Friday that California was planning to sue the Trump administration over its declaration of a national emergency on the southern border with Mexico, delivering on a promise state Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra made last week 'to reject this foolish proposal in court the moment it touches the ground.'...'No other state is going to be impacted by this declaration of emergency more than the state of California,' the governor said. Becerra said attorneys were reviewing the declaration and would develop the legal argument to take to court in the near future."

Source:
AVOIDS SHUTDOWN WITH A FEW HOURS TO SPARE
Trump Signs Border Deal
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump signed a sweeping spending bill Friday afternoon, averting another partial government shutdown. The action came after Trump had declared a national emergency in a move designed to circumvent Congress and build additional barriers at the southern border, where he said the United States faces 'an invasion of our country.'"

Source:
JUDGE SIDES WITH MUELLER
Stone Under Gag Order
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"A federal judge on Friday ordered Roger Stone, his attorneys and the special counsel’s office to halt all public commentary about the case involving charges that the longtime Donald Trump associate lied to Congress and obstructed its Russia investigation. In a four-page order, U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson sided with Mueller that Stone and his attorneys 'must refrain from making statements to the media or in public settings that pose a substantial likelihood of material prejudice to this case.'"

Source:
HAS NOT BEEN INCLUDED SINCE 1950
Supreme Court Will Rule on Census Citizenship Question
6 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The Supreme Court added a politically explosive case to its low-profile docket Friday, agreeing to decide by the end of June whether the Trump administration can add a question about citizenship to the 2020 Census form sent to every American household. The census hasn’t asked the question of each household since 1950, and a federal judge last month stopped the Commerce Department from adding it to the upcoming count. He questioned the motives of Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, and said the secretary broke a 'veritable smorgasbord' of federal rules by overriding the advice of career officials."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login