Will Scott Brown run in New Hampshire after all? For months, most Granite State and D.C. Republicans have considered the former lawmaker more interested in attention than an actual Senate campaign. But Brown’s deluge of campaign-style visits, accompanied by a raft of stories about his intentions, have convinced many he’s now serious about running. Still, he’s not in yet, and there are a host of reasons to think he never will be.
— Despite his visits, Brown hasn’t personally courted GOP leaders and conservative activists, an important step for any candidate considering a bid for statewide office (much less in a place where voters expect future presidents to bend hand-on-knee asking for their vote). Many party leaders, in fact, say they don’t think Brown even has a formal group of advisers, in Massachusetts or New Hampshire. Brown’s contemplating a campaign, but he appears to be doing entirely inside his own head.
— He won’t necessarily receive a free pass in a primary. Yes, Republicans are excited that they might finally have found a credible candidate to take on incumbent Jeanne Shaheen, and, yes, the primary field is so far barren of any other top-tier contenders. But the Bay State Republican’s record begs for sort of conservative challenge all too common in GOP politics: Among other things, he has supported abortion rights, a ban on assault weapons and opposed Paul Ryan’s budget and the Bush-era tax cuts. Does Brown, currently earning a comfortable living in the private sector, have the stomach to beat back conservative criticism?
— And then there’s the matter of the general election. New Hampshire is a swing state, especially in a midterm election, but Shaheen is a relatively popular incumbent staring down an overt carpetbagger. Even with Obamacare’s struggles, Brown would start as an underdog.
Most agree he can wait until late winter to decide on a campaign. By that time, hopefully he remembers which state he’s running in.
What We're Following See More »
"Egypt called off a scheduled meeting between its foreign minister and top U.S. presidential adviser Jared Kushner on Wednesday after the United States decided to withhold millions of dollars in aid. But President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi would meet the U.S. delegation led by Kushner later in the day as scheduled, Sisi's office said." Washington decided to deny Egypt $95.7 million in aid and delay $195 million.
Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper last night questioned President Trump's fitness for office, following the president's angry speech in Arizona. Calling the president's performance "disturbing," Clapper said, "I really question his ability to be -- his fitness to be -- in this office, and I also am beginning to wonder about his motivation for it," Clapper said on CNN. "How much longer does the country have to, to borrow a phrase, endure this nightmare?"
The National Infrastructure Advisory Council has warned "that the U.S. in not ready to cope with a catastrophic attack aimed at the U.S. power grid, communications systems and other critical infrastructure." The panel "voted up a report recommending that the U.S. establish separate communications networks to support critical systems and take steps to rapidly declassify cybersecurity threat information." According to council member Mike Wallace, the country is "in a pre-9/11 moment" with respect to its vulnerabilities.