Senior White House Enviro Aide Heads for the Exits

National Journal
Ben Geman
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Ben Geman
Dec. 9, 2013, 9:48 a.m.

White House Council on Environmental Quality Deputy Director Gary Guzy is leaving the Obama administration, an announcement that comes days after CEQ Chairwoman Nancy Sutley said she’s stepping down in February.

In fact Sutley’s deputy, a longtime White House aide, will reach the exit before her.

Guzy, who is also CEQ’s general counsel, will join the Washington office of the prominent law and lobbying firm Covington & Burling in January.

Guzy, who has been with CEQ since September 2009, will join the firm’s environmental, clean-energy, public-policy, and government-affairs practices. His departure continues the turnover of President Obama’s top energy and environment aides.

Guzy is credited with playing a major role in Obama administration rules that require automakers to substantially boost efficiency standards, reaching a fleet-wide average of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025 for cars and light trucks.

“Gary won the trust and respect of auto companies and environmentalists alike — no mean feat — in the negotiations that produced the biggest single step any nation has taken to reduce global-warming pollution and oil use,” said Dan Becker, director of the Safe Climate Campaign.

Guzy had been mentioned in some press accounts as a potential replacement for Sutley atop CEQ.

He served as EPA’s general counsel and in other EPA jobs in the Clinton administration, and he was also a senior attorney with the Justice Department’s environment division. After the Clinton years, Guzy held private-sector roles, including global-practice leader for climate risk and sustainability at Marsh, an insurance brokerage and risk-advisory company.

“Gary brings exceptional skill in dealing with complex environmental issues and a wealth of experience in developing strategic partnerships and working with the diverse constituencies necessary to resolve the most challenging public controversies,” Lawrence Hobel, cochairman of Covington’s environmental practice, said in a statement.

He’ll leave CEQ at the end of December and start the new job Jan. 21.

What We're Following See More »
POTENTIAL CONTEMPT CHARGE
Nadler: Goodlatte Could Subpoena Rosenstein
3 days ago
THE LATEST

"The top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee says Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., is poised to subpoena the Justice Department for former FBI Director James Comey’s memos, which the agency so far has failed to produce. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., warned such a move puts Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in jeopardy of being placed in contempt of Congress and the special counsel investigation of being shut down prematurely."

Source:
NO NEW FUNDING INCLUDED
House Ag Committee Passes Farm Bill
3 days ago
THE DETAILS
"On a party-line vote, the House Agriculture Committee approved a five-year farm bill on Wednesday that tweaks the supports now in place—a promise of certainty, leaders said, during a period of low commodity prices and threats of a trade war with agriculture on the front line." The bill includes no new funding over the last farm bill.
Source:
WOULD ASSURE ANYONE PARDONED BY TRUMP CAN BE PROSECUTED BY STATE
Schneiderman Urges NY Lawmakers to Close “Double Jeopardy Loophole”
3 days ago
THE LATEST
INTRO’d LAST NIGHT
Ryan Tamps Down AUMF Talk
4 days ago
THE LATEST

Referring to the AUMF introduced by Sens. Tim Kaine and Bob Corker Monday evening, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday "he won’t allow any bill to come to the House floor that he thinks would restrict military commanders’ ability to fight." Ryan "defended the legality of U.S. military strikes last week against chemical weapons-related sites in Syria, saying President Trump had the authority to order them under the Constitution’s Article II commander-in-chief powers."

PROSECUTORS WILL GET FIRST LOOK
Judge Denies Requests by Cohen, Trump
5 days ago
THE LATEST

Attorneys for both President Trump and his attorney Michael Cohen lost a court challenge today, as they sought to suppress evidence gathered in a raid of Cohen's office and hotel room. "U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood denied the requests and ruled that prosecutors will get first access to the information, followed by Cohen’s defense team ten days later. Wood noted that she has not yet decided whether she will appoint a special master in the case at all."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login