In mid-October, at the height of the government shutdown, House Democrats celebrated the decision of Omaha politician Pete Festersen to restart his candidacy against Republican Rep. Lee Terry—a move, they said, that showed the toll the weeks-long imbroglio had taken on Republicans. Festersen, who earlier has opted out of a campaign, cited the shutdown as a primary reason he was reentering the race.
As it happens, what goes around comes around.
Festersen said Monday that, for the second time, he was no longer running for Nebraska’s 2nd Congressional District seat. Although he cited family obligations, Republicans immediately jumped on the news as evidence that political fortunes had once again changed—this time thanks to the health care law’s disastrous rollout.
“This is the biggest and most humiliating recruitment fail of the year for House Democrats, and they don’t have anyone to blame but themselves,” said Andrea Bozek, a National Republican Congressional Campaign Committee spokeswoman. “Their continued commitment to Obamacare is not only costing them votes, it is now costing them their star candidates.”
The Affordable Care Act, plagued by malfunctioning websites and people losing their health care coverage, has been a major political problem for Democrats since the site debuted Oct. 1—so much so that the party’s once prodigious lead in the generic-ballot matchup has been reversed in a matter of months, as Charlie Cook observed last week.
Festersen’s decision to drop out doesn’t tangibly affect House Democrats’ efforts next year much. It’s only one seat among 435, and they can still find another candidate to take his place. Other Democratic recruits continue to line up to run in other battleground districts.
But national Democrats had touted the City Council member’s original reversal as a sign they had capitalized on the current political environment to make a lasting difference in House campaigns. Festersen’s decision Monday is the most tangible manifestation yet that Republicans are now doing the same.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."