Iran stopped construction at a military base that some experts allege once hosted nuclear weapon-related experiments, a Washington think tank says.
A Nov. 27 satellite image of the Parchin facility suggests that Iran made “no significant alterations” at the location for more than three months, the Institute for Science and International Security said in its Tuesday analysis. That follows a period of more than a year in which the Middle Eastern nation pursued demolition, construction and paving activities that organization experts believe were aimed at concealing evidence of past on-site experiments relevant to nuclear-arms development.
Iran, which insists that its atomic efforts have no military dimension, began modifying the Parchin site a month after the International Atomic Energy Agency started pushing to visit the base in January 2012, according to ISIS analysts David Albright and Serena Kelleher-Vergantini. The U.N. nuclear watchdog’s interest in the site is part of a broader probe launched amid international skepticism about Tehran’s ostensibly peaceful atomic ambitions.
The apparent halt in modifications at Parchin “may mean that Iran has finished making planned changes at the site,” the experts wrote. They added, though, that the pause could alternatively “represent an effort by Iran to freeze operations there.”
U.N. inspectors remain barred from the Iranian facility under a deal struck last month by Tehran and the Vienna-based U.N. organization. In an August safeguards report, IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano said Iran’s “extensive activities [at Parchin] have seriously undermined the agency’s ability to conduct effective verification.”
IAEA officials suspect that the base hosted a structure capable of facilitating nuclear-related explosives tests, as well as possible development of a “neutron initiator” for activating atomic detonations.
Certain specialists, though, have questioned the U.N. agency’s rationale for pressing to visit the Parchin compound. The evidence behind those requests — intelligence gathered and furnished to the agency by IAEA member governments — remains confidential.
This article was published in Global Security Newswire, which is produced independently by National Journal Group under contract with the Nuclear Threat Initiative. NTI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan group working to reduce global threats from nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons.
What We're Following See More »
Perhaps Donald Trump can take a plebiscite to solve this whole messy immigration thing. At a Fox News town hall with Sean Hannity last night, Trump essentially admitted he's "stumped," turning to the audience and asking: “Can we go through a process or do you think they have to get out? Tell me, I mean, I don’t know, you tell me.”
Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.
Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.
Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”