Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., and Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., on Thursday announced an effort to extend paid family and medical leave to employees.
The so-called Family (Family and Medical Insurance Leave) Act would create a national insurance program through the Social Security Administration to collect fees and distribute benefits. Employees and employers would contribute 0.2 percent of income to the fund, which Gillibrand and DeLauro equate to “the expense of a cup of coffee” each week.
“When a young parent needs time to care for a newborn child — it should never come down to an outdated policy that lets her boss decide how long it will take — and decide the fate of her career and her future along with it,” Gillibrand said in a press release. “When any one of us — man or woman — needs time to care for a dying parent — we should not have to sacrifice our job and risk our future to do the right thing for our family. Choosing between your loved ones and your career and your future is a choice no one should have to make.”
Gillibrand and DeLauro’s proposal in part addresses a long-held criticism of the Clinton administration’s Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, which provides up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in the event of personal or family illness, death, adoption, and pregnancy. Only 12 percent of Americans have access to employer-provided, job-protected paid leave, and taking time off can be more financially burdensome for hourly-wage workers than salaried employees.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."