Kerry, Iranian Official Continue Discussions on Interim Deal

Jordain Carney, National Journal
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Jordain Carney, National Journal
Dec. 16, 2013, 9:02 a.m.

U.S. Sec­ret­ary of State John Kerry spoke with his Ir­a­ni­an coun­ter­part in search of a path for­ward on the in­ter­im nuc­le­ar deal reached last month.

A seni­or State De­part­ment of­fi­cial said on Monday that the week­end con­ver­sa­tion fo­cused on “the im­port­ance of mov­ing for­ward” on the agree­ment reached in Geneva and “main­tain­ing a con­struct­ive at­mo­sphere as the ne­go­ti­ations con­tin­ue.”

The talks — which took place dur­ing Kerry’s flight to Vi­et­nam — fol­low the ad­min­is­tra­tion’s an­nounce­ment last week that it was tar­get­ing more than a dozen in­di­vidu­als and com­pan­ies for al­legedly vi­ol­at­ing the sanc­tions against Ir­an. The de­cision bars the de­sign­ees from en­ga­ging in trans­ac­tions with U.S. in­di­vidu­als and al­lows the United States to freeze any as­sets cur­rently un­der its jur­is­dic­tion, as well as any that fall in­to its con­trol in the fu­ture.

Za­rif told the Wash­ing­ton Post that des­pite re­ports to the con­trary, the new des­ig­na­tions did not end the ne­go­ti­ations between Ir­an, the United States, the United King­dom, France, Ger­many, Rus­sia, and China over Ir­an’s nuc­le­ar pro­gram.

“As Mark Twain rightly poin­ted out, the news of their de­mise is greatly ex­ag­ger­ated,” he said. “I be­lieve we need to have a re­as­sess­ment of how we want to pro­ceed — every­body needs to do that — go back to the ne­go­ti­at­ing table with a view to re­mov­ing these obstacles and mov­ing for­ward.”

He ad­ded that he has also been in con­tact with of­fi­cials from oth­er coun­tries in­volved with the ne­go­ti­ations, as well as Cath­er­ine Ashton, the European Uni­on’s for­eign policy chief, on how to move for­ward.

This art­icle was pub­lished in Glob­al Se­cur­ity News­wire, which is pro­duced in­de­pend­ently by Na­tion­al Journ­al Group un­der con­tract with the Nuc­le­ar Threat Ini­ti­at­ive. NTI is a non­profit, non­par­tis­an group work­ing to re­duce glob­al threats from nuc­le­ar, bio­lo­gic­al, and chem­ic­al weapons.

What We're Following See More »
DECLINES TO HEAR APPEAL
SCOTUS Leaves Political Ad Disclosure Law In Place
1 hours ago
BREAKING

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear an appeal to the "federal disclosure rules for political advertising," leaving in place the ruling by a lower court upholding a law requiring the disclosure of donors to political ads. The appeal came from "a Denver-based libertarian think tank that wanted to run an ad without being forced to divulge its major donors," which argued that the requirement was a violation of first amendment rights under the Court's Citizens United decision.

Source:
ENLISTS THEIR HELP IN REPEAL/REPLACE
Trump Meets with Health Execs
1 hours ago
THE LATEST
WOULD CUT NON-DEFENSE BY SAME AMOUNT
Trump Budget Would Bump Defense Spending by $54 Billion
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The Trump administration is proposing a budget it says will increase defense spending by $54 billion and cut non-defense spending by the same amount. The White House is sending a topline budget proposal reflecting those figures to federal agencies on Monday afternoon, according to an Office of Management and Budget official." An unnamed OMB official said most federal agencies would face cutbacks.

Source:
WILL THE DINNER HAPPEN?
Trump To Skip Correspondents Dinner
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Saturday that he would not attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in April. The move did not come as a surprise, another moment in his ongoing battle with the media, which he has dubbed the "enemy" of the American people and repeatedly refers to as "fake news." Multiple outlets have already cancelled their events surrounding the dinner and several are considering skipping the event outright.

FOLLOWS ARMY SECRETARY
Navy Secretary Nominee To Withdraw
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Phillip Bilden, Donald Trump's nominee for Navy secretary, has decided to withdraw his nomination after he was unable to sufficiently untangle his financial commitments. Bilden follows Vincent Viola, who withdrew his nomination for Army secretary.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login