Next year’s single greatest terrorist threat will come from Syria.
That’s the word from National Counterterrorism Center Director Matthew Olsen, who said extremists are taking advantage of the chaos created by the Syrian civil war to create a threat to U.S. security.
A hodgepodge of rebel groups are battling strongman Bashar al-Assad’s forces in Syria, including groups linked to al-Qaida. “As the conflict in Syria rages on, we are concerned about the flow of fighters to the country and the likelihood that they will pose a threat when they return from Syria to their home countries,” Olsen said.
Dealing with this threat, Olsen said, “will be the primary focus of our counterterrorism efforts in 2014.”
Olsen’s comments come as Washington grows increasingly concerned that radical, Qaida-linked groups have made territorial gains in the country. Thousands of foreign fighters have traveled to Syria, where some have joined with these groups and received training and weapons, Olsen said, noting that hundreds of these individuals are from Western countries, including some from the United States.
Fragmented groups within Syria present not just a counterterrorism challenge but a diplomatic one: Washington is in an increasingly tough position, as the moderate and secular groups it has supported so far continue to lose ground to religious fighters and Assad’s forces.
This week, Secretary of State John Kerry said the Obama administration is willing to meet with Islamist fighters not affiliated with terrorist groups in a bid to reach a diplomatic solution to end the fighting — outreach already scorned by some concerned members on Capitol Hill. The main target of this outreach is the Islamic Front, a new coalition of Islamist militias that excludes the key Qaida-linked groups in the country.
Last week, the U.S. suspended delivery of nonlethal aid to the rebels in northern Syria after the Islamic Front seized rebel-held warehouses and headquarters where supplies were stored. The U.S. envoy to Syria, Robert Ford, has said the group refused to sit down with the administration without giving any explanation.
The United Nations will hold a peace conference starting Jan. 22.
What We're Following See More »
"The Supreme Court is taking up a First Amendment clash over the government’s refusal to register offensive trademarks, a case that could affect the Washington Redskins in their legal fight over the team name. The justices agreed Thursday to hear a dispute involving an Asian-American rock band called the Slants, but they did not act on a separate request to hear the higher-profile Redskins case at the same time." Still, any precedent set by the case could have ramifications for the Washington football team.
The Hollywood Reporter takes a look at a little-known intersection of politics and entertainment, in which Trump campaign CEO Steve Bannon is still raking in residuals from Seinfeld. Here's the digest version: When Seinfeld was in its infancy, Ted Turner was in the process of acquiring its production company, Castle Rock, but he was under-capitalized. Bannon's fledgling media company put up the remaining funds, and he agreed to "participation rights" instead of a fee. "Seinfeld has reaped more than $3 billion in its post-network afterlife through syndication deals." Meanwhile, Bannon is "still cashing checks from Seinfeld, and observers say he has made nearly 25 times more off the Castle Rock deal than he had anticipated."
Donald Trump's "transition team will meet next week with representatives of the tech industry, multiple sources confirmed, even as their candidate largely has been largely shunned by Silicon Valley. The meeting, scheduled for next Thursday at the offices of law and lobbying firm BakerHostetler, will include trade groups like the Information Technology Industry Council and the Internet Association that represent major Silicon Valley companies."