Obama Adviser: If Iran Violates Future Deal, Sanctions Could Be Renewed

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
Dec. 23, 2013, 7:02 a.m.

A fu­ture Ir­an nuc­le­ar ac­cord could auto­mat­ic­ally re­in­state in­ter­na­tion­al sanc­tions if Tehran vi­ol­ates its pro­vi­sions, says a seni­or White House of­fi­cial.

“We will not con­struct a deal or ac­cept a deal in which we can­not veri­fy ex­actly what [the Ir­a­ni­ans] are do­ing,” Re­u­ters quoted U.S. na­tion­al se­cur­ity ad­viser Susan Rice as say­ing on the CBS news pro­gram “60 Minutes.”

Wash­ing­ton and its al­lies hope a six-month nuc­le­ar agree­ment reached last month will lay the ground­work to ne­go­ti­ate more en­dur­ing re­stric­tions on Ir­an’s arms-rel­ev­ant nuc­le­ar activ­it­ies. Fears of Ir­a­ni­an back­ped­al­ing, though, have con­trib­uted to a con­gres­sion­al push for new sanc­tions that the White House sees as a threat to dip­lomacy.

Rice said that if in­ter­na­tion­al au­thor­it­ies catch the Ir­a­ni­ans vi­ol­at­ing a fu­ture deal, “we will en­sure that the pres­sure is re­im­posed on them.”

Wash­ing­ton and its part­ners still have not de­veloped lan­guage that would auto­mat­ic­ally re­new sanc­tions un­der such con­di­tions, “but this is something that’s quite doable,” she said in an in­ter­view aired on Sunday.

Rice said it re­mains un­cer­tain if ex­ist­ing eco­nom­ic pres­sure is suf­fi­cient for Ir­an to ac­cept a “veri­fi­able” means of en­sur­ing that it could nev­er build a nuc­le­ar weapon so quickly that it couldn’t be stopped.

Her re­marks echoed com­ments made by Pres­id­ent Obama dur­ing a Fri­day press brief­ing.

“There is no need for new sanc­tions le­gis­la­tion — not yet,” Agence France-Presse quoted Obama as say­ing. “If Ir­an comes back and says, we can’t give you as­sur­ances that we’re not go­ing to weapon­ize “¦ it’s not go­ing to be hard for us to turn the di­als back [and] strengthen sanc­tions even fur­ther.”

On Sunday, Ir­an and the five per­man­ent U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil mem­ber na­tions and Ger­many paused their talks for the Christ­mas hol­i­day, with a European Uni­on spokes­per­son say­ing dis­cus­sions would likely re­sume be­fore the New Year, ac­cord­ing to a sep­ar­ate Re­u­ters re­port. The in­ter­na­tion­al en­voys are en­ga­ging on how to im­ple­ment last month’s deal. The in­ter­im ac­cord grants Ir­an lim­ited re­lief from pun­it­ive eco­nom­ic meas­ures, but Tehran wants the “P-5+1” na­tions to of­fer ad­di­tion­al sanc­tions curbs un­der a fu­ture agree­ment.

The Per­sian Gulf power in­sists that its atom­ic activ­it­ies are peace­ful, but that as­ser­tion faces strong in­ter­na­tion­al skep­ti­cism.

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
11 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
12 hours ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
13 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
16 hours ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×