North Dakota Republican Sen. John Hoeven signaled Wednesday that he is weighing legislation to fast-track federal regulations tightening safety standards for rail-car construction.
“The federal agencies working on this issue need to devote the necessary resources to get it done in a timely way,” Hoeven said in a statement, adding, “We are evaluating legislation to further advance the timeline, as well.”
The oil-patch senator’s comments came on the heels of an announcement by the Transportation Department Tuesday that it is does not plan to finalize the rulemaking until 2015.
Hoeven indicated, however, that he plans to keep pushing for an earlier release date.
“This week, we will meet with DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx and industry leaders to try to determine what and when sufficient guidance will be available prior to the finalized rule so that industry can begin to transition as soon as possible,” he said.
The senator also said he plans to meet with Office of Management and Budget Director Sylvia Burwell to discuss whether information about the regulation can be made publicly available before its formal release.
A series of recent oil-by-rail accidents, including the derailment and subsequent explosion of a crude shipment earlier this month in Casselton, N.D., have led a number of lawmakers, including Sens. Hoeven and Heidi Heitkamp, D-N.D., to call for an expedited rulemaking process to head off future disasters.
An announcement issued by DOT’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration that crude from North Dakota’s Bakken formation may be more volatile than other types of crude oil has further added to the urgency of the appeals.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."