Israel Said Keen on Starting Arrow 3 Production Prior to Intercept Test

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
Jan. 22, 2014, 7:50 a.m.

An Is­raeli busi­ness news web­site re­ports that the na­tion plans to be­gin pro­du­cing the Ar­row 3 an­ti­mis­sile sys­tem even be­fore an in­ter­cept test takes place.

The Ar­row 3 sys­tem was suc­cess­fully flight tested earli­er this month, and a more chal­len­ging mis­sile-in­ter­cept tri­al is planned to take place in a few weeks, ac­cord­ing to the Is­raeli Globes news ser­vice.

Des­pite the lack of proven in­ter­cept cap­ab­il­ity to date, the Is­raeli mil­it­ary and the de­veloper of the Ar­row 3, Is­rael Aerospace In­dus­tries, are so cer­tain the tech­no­logy will per­form as in­ten­ded that they have chosen to move the an­ti­mis­sile sys­tem in­to pro­duc­tion, Globes re­por­ted on Sunday. The web­site did not spe­cify the source of that in­form­a­tion, but else­where in the art­icle cited de­fense min­istry and in­dustry sources.

If the res­ults of in­ter­cept tri­als re­veal any is­sues with the Ar­row 3 tech­no­logy, small changes to the sys­tem’s soft­ware could prove suf­fi­cient to cor­rect prob­lems, ac­cord­ing to Globes.

“In terms of the mis­sile’s na­tion­al im­port­ance against threats, I do not think that there is any­one who doubts this pro­gram,” said Boaz Levy, dir­ect­or of Is­rael Aerospace In­dus­tries’ MLM Mis­sile Di­vi­sion. “Giv­en the con­stant warn­ings about the Ir­a­ni­an threat, the Ar­row 3 provides us the best sup­ple­ment­ary re­sponse.”

Is­rael an­ti­cip­ates ac­tiv­at­ing the long-range in­ter­cept­or next year.

Un­like the de­ployed Ar­row 2 in­ter­cept­or, which uses an ex­plod­ing war­head to des­troy in­com­ing mis­siles, the Ar­row 3 is de­signed to use a kin­et­ic-kill vehicle to dis­able threats out­side the earth’s at­mo­sphere.

What We're Following See More »
BEGINS AT MIDNIGHT ABSENT SENATE ACTION
Feds Begin Prepping for Government Shutdown
1 hours ago
THE LATEST

Given the Senate's inaction on the continuing budget resolution (so far), the White House "said it has begun to work with agencies to prepare for the possibility of a large swath of the federal workforce being furloughed without pay beginning at midnight." Even if a shutdown occurs, however, "Senate procedures will allow the chamber to approve the CR with only a handful of Democrats in support by Sunday morning. Of the roughly 900,000 federal employees who were subject to furloughs in agencies’ most recent calculations, most would not be materially impacted as they do not work on weekends."

Source:
ALSO VICE-CHAIR OF TRUMP’S TRANSITION TEAM
Trump Taps Rep. McMorris Rodgers for Interior Secretary
4 hours ago
BREAKING
RESULTS NOT NECESSARILY TO BE PUBLIC
White House Orders Review of Election Hacking
4 hours ago
THE LATEST

President Obama has called for a "full review" of the hacking that took place during the 2016 election cycle, according to Obama counterterrorism and homeland security adviser Lisa Monaco. Intelligence officials say it is highly likely that Russia was behind the hacking. The results are not necessarily going to be made public, but will be shared with members of Congress.

Source:
AT ISSUE: BENEFITS FOR COAL MINERS
Manchin, Brown Holding Up Spending Bill
6 hours ago
THE LATEST

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH) are threatening to block the spending bill—and prevent the Senate from leaving town—"because it would not extend benefits for retired coal miners for a year or pay for their pension plans. The current version of the bill would extend health benefits for four months. ... Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on Thursday afternoon moved to end debate on the continuing resolution to fund the government through April 28. But unless Senate Democrats relent, that vote cannot be held until Saturday at 1 a.m. at the earliest, one hour after the current funding measure expires."

Source:
PARLIAMENT VOTED 234-56
South Korean President Impeached
7 hours ago
THE LATEST

The South Korean parliament voted on Friday morning to impeach President Park Geun-hye over charges of corruption, claiming she allowed undue influence to a close confidante of hers. Ms. Park is now suspended as president for 180 days. South Korea's Constitutional Court will hear the case and decide whether to uphold or overturn the impeachment.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login